Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im probably gonna pick up a SV650s sometime over the next month or so. I got a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could answer for me, I checked svrider.com but the search on that website isnt the greatest in narrowing things down.

so

Fairings, are there aftermaket fairings for them or are there only stock suzuki parts?

My friend in texas just bought a Katana 600, how is the SV650 compared to it. I cant stand the looks of the Katana honestly but overall if one was matched up against the other what would be the plus and minus's of each.

Headlights, are they HID?

Mufflers, are they easy to replace?

Overall questions
Paint, how much does it cost to paint a bike these days? Im not a huge fan of the Yellow and Blue they offer in the SV650S right now but would be able to live with it.

thanks

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Fairings, are there aftermaket fairings for them or are there only stock suzuki parts?
Yep there are several companies that make them. The lower on my SV (see my sig) is from a company called HammerIt - went out of business since, though

My friend in texas just bought a Katana 600, how is the SV650 compared to it. I cant stand the looks of the Katana honestly but overall if one was matched up against the other what would be the plus and minus's of each.
The Katana is somewhat more comfortable over long distances, but that's about it. The SV has it beat in every other category...
The SV is much lighter, much better handling and has a wider useable powerband. Plus it's a much more modern design, technically. The Katana (and the Bandit for that matter, same engine) still use oil/air cooled engines designed in the 80's...

Headlights, are they HID?
No

Mufflers, are they easy to replace?
Not quite sure about the 2nd Gen, but on the 1st Gens you either have to cut the stock exhaust or change the whole system...

Paint, how much does it cost to paint a bike these days? Im not a huge fan of the Yellow and Blue they offer in the SV650S right now but would be able to live with it.
If you want a professional paint job, expect at least 1K $...

You're welcome

·
Registered
548 Posts
I ride an 04 sv650s, blue.

you can find aftermarket fairings anywhere, these are one of the hottest club racer's bikes right now, they're cheap and easy to make race ready. SHARKSKINZ look awsome to me.

HID's are very easy to do aftermarket...

DO NOT get a Katana... trust me! You'll never be happy with it. Everybody loves their SV's... It took me a while, but now I'll never sell it, even if I get another bike. Also, many pro's come off of the big bikes "down" to an SV650S and keep it. The handling is amazing. The bike is very light and tossable.

Get new tires for it ASAP, the stock ones are junk. PILOT POWER's are the best street tires made. Pirelli's feel nice on it too. Metzler's M1 are good, but not as sticky. I learned to powerslide with them, they're predictable. Make sure to switch the front profile from a 120/60 to a 120/70...the 70 series was the biggest upgrade next to suspension I've made, and they're not expensive if you shop around. My shop it's $220 a set...

I have an M4 FULL SYSTEM. it's not much more money than most slip-on's and the power and sound are amazing. I love when it shoot's flames! Finish on it is pretty good too. I looked at tons of pipes, this one's got the best power, Two-brothers has a slightly deeper sound but M4 is right there on the deeper/throatier side. I hate ratty sounding popping exhaustsSlip-on's require cutting, and you need to do a POWERCOMANDER III with the exhaust. Have it pro installed and dyno tuned and you'll be very happy.

A few hundred in suspension is all it takes to make this thing unbelieveable, the stock stuff is pretty soft once you're ready to race it, but if you learn to ride smoothly with the stock suspension you'll be very fast with upgraded parts. These bikes teach you how to ride faster...

Most pipes require getting an undertail kit (thank god) and I went with EUROTAIL's and It's wonderful.

Paint'll be expensive. I'd say do the performance stuff first. Get some frame sliders, smaller blinkers and the rear seat cowl cover from suzuki that get's rid of that stupid grab handle on the back. Exhaust alone will make you fall in love. These things are fun.

Hope that takes care of it. Good luck man, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Oh, and I got mine for $6,500 out-the-door. Negotiate...it'll pay for some mods!

·
Registered
548 Posts
just make sure you get a first gen, looks soooooooooo much cooler than the second gen ;-) IMO
Ouch... Well, I've done a lot to mine, it looks cool now... Maybe even you'd like it!

but then again it's mine, so if you dont

·
Registered
79 Posts
see that`s why i said IMO, what works for me doesn`t have to work for you, i just love the round frame tubing, the curvy plastics etc, while thinking about her i realize i haven`t hugged her today, i am off to the garage there is some hugging to do

ps what have you done to her you have some pics ? mine is bonestock except for a oehlins shock and k&n airfilter and i am about to swap the front end

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
see that`s why i said IMO, what works for me doesn`t have to work for you, i just love the round frame tubing, the curvy plastics etc, while thinking about her i realize i haven`t hugged her today, i am off to the garage there is some hugging to do
I have to agree with you on this. The second gen looks too much like the Yamaha Fazers, Honda CBF, etc. That sharp edge look is being used too much - IMHO...

·
Registered
548 Posts

ps what have you done to her you have some pics ? mine is bonestock except for a oehlins shock and k&n airfilter and i am about to swap the front end
I'm brand new to this... I don't know what IMO is
... In My Opinion?? Sorry, no digital camera, but maybe I'll get the scanner to work so I can post a couple pics. I guess I hugged mine already today, burned my arm on the pipe on accident trying to catch a flying paper towel (weird, huh?) so it didn't catch fire
Oops.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yupp your right and i found out today that imho "in my humble opinion" means, wow you got flying at your place that`s weird
hope the burn isn`t that bad

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
yupp your right and i found out today that imho "in my humble opinion" means,
Or "Honest" - that's what I use it as at least...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I own a 2003 Suzuki SV650s and love it!!!! My husband owns a new 'i05 Suzuki GSX-R and although he loves his bike he said the SV handles nicer and the seat is lower into the bike than the Gixxer which makes it easier to ride. My son had ridden them both and agrees the SV handles awesome! I guess all bikes are different but, my son said the clutch handle was much easier on the SV as well.

Good luck with your SV purchase..you'll love it. I bought mine used and it had aftermarket fairings on it..and a Scorpion exhaust. It sounds beefy with that on it!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you rode one, James? An SV? I've read everywhere that an SV handles quite superb.

My husband rides both of ours and he said the SV was a easier because on the Gixxer he sits up on it higher and the SV the seat is lower into the frame so that his body weight is more low instead of sitting "on top" of the bike. My son has ridden both and said that the SV also handled well. The SV is lighter in weight and on mine the clutch handle is smoother than the Gixxer.

Dont get me wrong, the GSXR 1K5 if your talking 2005 GSXR-1000 will streak ahead and is better. I am talking about the SV and that it handles nice, is lighter and seat is lower in the frame. My husband has a gixxer 750 and believe me..it blows me!

My son (weight 135) rides my SV650 and my husband (weight 230) on the Gix 750 and they keep neck in neck in a race.

Happy Riding, All
~Aluli

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
imho.... the sv650s handling is poor, the GSXR1k5 is much better and its streaks ahead.
Wouldn't exactly say poor - the suspension is average but upgrade that and it's on par in regards to handling.

·
Registered
548 Posts
imho.... the sv650s handling is poor, the GSXR1k5 is much better and its streaks ahead.
Wouldn't exactly say poor - the suspension is average but upgrade that and it's on par in regards to handling.
+1... good handling with the suspension taken care of...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
[image]
[/image] [image]
[/image]

2000 SV 650
AK Composites GSXR bodywork!
Talk to Ali if you need something specific!
Paint I did myself! as well as most of all the other work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The stock suspension's pretty weak, and that lets the package down... On bumpy corners it'll run wide sometimes since the stock suspension can get crossed up a little too easily.

But it's light, narrow and very nimble, and with the suspension sorted it handles superbly- I would honestly say it's better into and out of tight bends than any supersport I've ridden. The narrower tyres give it a real fast turn-in, and the v-twin puts power on the road better than an IL4 coming out. Though obviously there's a whole lot less of it. Not been on a K5 Gixxer yet though.

But then again, mine isn't exactly stock

Syat away from the Katana 600, you'd be better with an older CBR or Yamaha Thundercat. The teapot's got no place in today's showrooms. It's not even cheap... IMO the SV650's one of the best real world road bikes there is out there, I'd probably choose a Fazer thousand over it but that's about it. I'm not really a fan of the newer bike's looks, though. If you've got the ability, and a small budget, you can really make the SV punch above its weight. Mine still cost less than a brand new one even with the Ohlins and 750 front end!

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think i wanted to ask you something about your front end Northwind, what year is your front end ?
mine is a 98 750 and it came with 6 pot calipers, i am still tweaking them but so far i am not so happy with `em so i thought i might find some 4 pot of the same years already tried newer calipers but they don`t work, does someone know if they made 4 pod for they usd 96-99 generation ?

could not insert a image so i attached it, just click on that little icon and you see my beauty

Attachments

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
i think i wanted to ask you something about your front end Northwind, what year is your front end ?
mine is a 98 750 and it came with 6 pot calipers, i am still tweaking them but so far i am not so happy with `em so i thought i might find some 4 pot of the same years already tried newer calipers but they don`t work, does someone know if they made 4 pod for they usd 96-99 generation ?

could not insert a image so i attached it, just click on that little icon and you see my beauty
Hey Jan, looks pretty damn good with the USD on
I have been looking around on German eBay a bit for forks, am spying a bit on one from a Tiller. There was an Öhlins FG43 USD fork for sale not too long ago, was just somewhat out of my price range. One like that would have gone on my GSX-R and the GSX-R fork (600, non-inverted but with Öhlins internals) would have gone on the SV.

Oh well, need to win the lottery tonight, 20 million DKR (~3.6 million US$) first price...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts