Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how everyone felt about the sv650 as a begginner ride. I was reading a post that said it was a good beginner bike but was wondering what every one else thought.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Hell of a lot better for learning than the GSX-R600s, R6s, CBR600RRs and ZX-6Rs

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Good beginner bike.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
and it looks freaking SICK!!!!! i love that bike, i thought about geting it to but dont have enough cash. so i got a gs500 instead!! thats a good one to. also i figure i spend 2gs on the gs500 and then upgrade, but if i bought an sv i would just ride that forever!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
ahhh... it is coming to a full circle on how new peeps on here asked and they finally reply with "I love it"

it brings tears to my eyes

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ahhh... it is coming to a full circle on how new peeps on here asked and they finally reply with "I love it"

it brings tears to my eyes

if i had bought the GSXR i would have just sayed that i loved the GSXR
and yeah .. the SV's fun ...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
great first bike.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very non squid its a good pick

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree. I actually started on a gsxr 750, but then went and got an svs after 8 months or so. In truth I rode the svs faster than I did the 750. It was a much better match to my skill level and thus inspired more confidence. Great bike, nice amount of torque down low. Of course like any bike if you mistreat it...it will bite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My best friend has one. It's an 04. I love the way the bike rides, but the seating position is very awkward for me. He's a few inches shorter than I am, but for some reason I have trouble reaching the ground on his (and I'm 6'4" ???). It also sits very high feeling for me and on the highway, it feels as if the wind is trying to blow me right off the bike. The upside, to me, is that it is increadible nimble and compared to what I ride, very very civil. I like 'em but wouldn't own one myself because they don't feel 'right' to me. I think the most important thing is making sure the bike feels right. Mine is lowered and stretched... that wouldn't feel right to everyone but it's perfect for me and my frame.

As far as being a good bike to learn how to ride on, I would have to agree. IMO it's very civil and yet also responsive and compliant. Effortless, but not mindless. Good bike for the $

·
The Shocker
5,211 Posts
Fun bike for non-beginners too!

Ours now has the front end from an 04' 600, vortex rearsets/sprockets, Brembo Radial Master Cyl, Regina racing chain..

next up is the rear shock/ revalving of the forks
Pipe/Powercommander.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Great bike to learn on. Will help good rider to become a better rider. Did I mention I have one for sale?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just picked one up as my first bike and I love it! It looks great and has more then enough power for me to start on. The gix will come someday though

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife has an 01 SV650 (before they went fuel injected) and that little thing can move. It handles pretty well and has respectable power with very linear delivery. If you get one, don't disrepect it or it will bite.

I have a K3 1000, but I sneak a ride on her SV (under the guise of making sure it is running right) every now and then and am still impressed with it. The only complaint I really have about the SV is that the brakes are a little underpowered in the canyons, but I will work on that in the off season. My wife is a much better rider due to her starting on it. After two years and over 11,000 miles, she is thinking about upgrading to a GSX-R750, but we are keeping her SV no matter what.

The SV is an exceptional bikeout of the crate that can alse grow with you. I jetted it and put a full system on the her SV; at her request (after over a full season and over 7000 miles). It is an impressive machine. I am thinking about making it a dedicated track bike if she upgrades. I would modify the suspension and brakes, but that is about it. Did I mention I really like the SV650?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts