Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question,
but is Suzuki's performance oil any good compared to repsol, motul, rotella, amsoil etc?

Also, anyone know whether there is a period of time when the bike is new that full synthetic oil should NOT be used (ie, dont use synthetic until X miles)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stick with Suzuki Oil for the first 6000km's (4000 miles) and then switch over to a synthetic brand like Motul 5100. From my understanding using synthetic too early in a bikes life can cause it not to be broken in properly.

Q: "dont use synthetic until X miles"
A: 4000miles

Silly question,
but is Suzuki's performance oil any good compared to repsol, motul, rotella, amsoil etc?

Also, anyone know whether there is a period of time when the bike is new that full synthetic oil should NOT be used (ie, dont use synthetic until X miles)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is Castrol 10w 40 motor oil good to use in my 96' GSXR 1100? I've used it in my 85 'GS700ESF for 23 years.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Shell Rotella-T Full synthetic.

By the way for those of you who have heard about the changes in the oil additives for new diesel engines with the particulate exhaust filters (Rotella-T is supposed to be used for diesel engines) I called Shell and asked what changes they were making and if the changes would harm the wet clutches we run in our bikes. The technician that called me back said that the reformulation would have no effect on our bikes and will not harm our clutches. In fact he said that's the exact oil he uses in his bike. Just thought I would let everyone know if you were wondering...

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
As i recall, Suzuki doesn't have their own refineries.....

·
Pathalogical Poser
6,571 Posts
not true, you just need to use a synthetic oil that is made for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Walk into any Cycle Gear (or pretty much any other motorcycle parts store) and they will have shelves full of the stuff. I run Repsol Race Full Synthetic, change it every 3000 miles (last oil change was actually at 5500 miles, do as I say, not as I do, lol). I also use K&N oil filters. Those filters have a spot on them made to fit a reguar wrench, makes removing them a breeze (and it is a great place to safety wire them).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't use synthetic. I use regular castrol 10w-40w. And change the oil every 3k miles.

I use to use the Suzuki, good stuff I guess, but since switching to castrol my gears shift better. Smoother, more solid, less sloppy. :dunno

Does anyone know if you use synthetic is it ok to switch back to regular oil? Trucks, bikes whatever can you switch back? I've been told its not ok. But never why. I am trying to do the oil changes on everything myself. The dealer charges too much and takes too long doing it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to get in on this discussion. I just bought my first bike a k8 600 and it time for my first oil change. I went in to advance auto parts to pick up shell rotella and was talkin to a good buddy of mine thats also an auto tech teacher at the local vocational school who has a i think a 97 750. He told me the gsxr dont like any other oil then the suzuki stuff hes tried alot and his will buck and run bad even with just a kn filter and the suzuki oil. I told him about what i had read on here but he just told me from his experience to not try it. Needless to say my bikes still sittin in my garage =[. Is this just a thing with his bike possably those models? I've read so much good about rotella and amsoil on here I was just seeking more information. Thanks

·
gixr4life
114 Posts
i changed to synthetic at 600 miles. i did 2 oil changes before that. i broke my bike in the motoman style. rode it hard. it actaully runs smoother now and shifts ten times better since i added synthetic. i am using suzuki synthetic oil and filter. although i am changing to a k&n oil filter since it is easier to get off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts