Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will any of you blue bike owners tell me if the SUZUKI decal that is in the side of bike is under the clear coat or can if be removed easily?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Will cause damage, it is under the clear coat which you have to cut around the decal. Are you going to replace or ?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will cause damage, it is under the clear coat which you have to cut around the decal. Are you going to replace or ?
I don’t know. Maybe live with it when I get one soon. I just really hate the big ass letters on there.

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
It's under the clear, so your options are to sand it out, if it's a vinyl decal under and you don't damage the base coat respray with a good 2K clear, sand 1500->2000->3000, then 3 stage buff back to shine. If it's a painted decal it's likely the absence of a base coat in that area so look to be respraying the entire tank.

Cheap ass way, buy whatever color vinyl cut to size and cover it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's the best method to remove all the blue-colored decals on the 2018 Matte Black 1000?
Thank in advance.

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Short of a new paint job, buy race plastics in black, pull off stock and tuck away to remain in mint shape until the day comes you want to sell it, put factory plastics back on and sell the race plastics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Short of a new paint job, buy race plastics in black, pull off stock and tuck away to remain in mint shape until the day comes you want to sell it, put factory plastics back on and sell the race plastics.
This is by far the best advise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Race plastics remove your lights and signals making them illegal for the street, correct?

I'd still like to hear the best method for removing the decals from the factory plastics.

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Race plastics remove your lights and signals making them illegal for the street, correct?

I'd still like to hear the best method for removing the decals from the factory plastics.
Sorry I thought it to be common sense that you would modify race plastics to use the factory lights.

You have one option, sand down the decals and repaint, they are under the clear, you cant just "pull them off" so your option and only option is to repaint your entire bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry I thought it to be common sense that you would modify race plastics to use the factory lights.

You have one option, sand down the decals and repaint, they are under the clear, you cant just "pull them off" so your option and only option is to repaint your entire bike.
With all due respect, only the decal on the metal tank is under the clear coat.
Apparently, it's not a matter of common sense at all.

Can anyone offer anything constructive or helpful regarding removing the factory decals?
Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
With all due respect, only the decal on the metal tank is under the clear coat.
Apparently, it's not a matter of common sense at all.

Can anyone offer anything constructive or helpful regarding removing the factory decals?
Thanks.
They cannot be removed without damage. You have to break through the clear coat to remove the decal. Paying attention to "break ".

·
Registered
20 Posts
You’ve been asking this question in multiple threads for what seems like a while now. Take a new razor blade and cut around the outside of whatever it is that you don’t like. Then stick the blade under the decal and try to peel it up. If you actually get it off that way then you can look at what is left and figure out a solution.

There is going to be a void left.

You can sand down everything else to match the base and repaint. (Recommended)

You can bondo the void left by the decal & clear coat removal, then sand & paint

You can bondo the void and sand and vinal wrap

Insert whatever other option you want to do here, because it involves some form of sanding

There is no other way. Everyone keeps telling you this and you’re not listening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You’ve been asking this question in multiple threads for what seems like a while now. Take a new razor blade and cut around the outside of whatever it is that you don’t like. Then stick the blade under the decal and try to peel it up. If you actually get it off that way then you can look at what is left and figure out a solution.

There is going to be a void left.

You can sand down everything else to match the base and repaint. (Recommended)

You can bondo the void left by the decal & clear coat removal, then sand & paint

You can bondo the void and sand and vinal wrap

Insert whatever other option you want to do here, because it involves some form of sanding

There is no other way. Everyone keeps telling you this and you’re not listening.
You realize that all of the decals are NOT under the clear coat, right ?????

The only decal UNDER the clear coat is on the metal part of the gas tank.

I'm assuming all I need to do is take a heat gun, or even a hair blow dryer, to the decals and peel them up by hand.
But, I was hoping to hear from people who have done it themselves already.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Maybe you could reach out to this guy. He definitely swapped some decals around.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nope. I don't think anyone is talking about the gas tank decal, which is the only decal under the clear coat.
Yes got it, it`s under the clear coat, and yes it`s the only one under the clear coat. " You can`t remove with out damage" you get it ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts