Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried rebuilding what you have with your weight springs and valve and shim kits?
have you tried rebuilding what you have with your weight springs and valve and shim kits?
Nope I haven’t, I shall try that then if anyone in SoCal can point me to the right guy that knows what he is doing that would be great!

· Registered
408 Posts
I've tried revalved OEM shocks... Usually shops charge more to rebuild OEM shocks than aftermarket ones, that adds up; you'll have to rebuild it, revalve it and respring it... It will be definitely better than a stock shock, specially considering you have a 13 year old shock... But more often than not I ended up wishing I had spent more on the aftermarket one.

That being said, getting the correct springs for your weight and fresh oil will definitely improve things. I've had suspension work done by LE Engineering before:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried revalved OEM shocks... Usually shops charge more to rebuild OEM shocks than aftermarket ones, that adds up; you'll have to rebuild it, revalve it and respring it... It will be definitely better than a stock shock, specially considering you have a 13 year old shock... But more often than not I ended up wishing I had spent more on the aftermarket one.

That being said, getting the correct springs for your weight and fresh oil will definitely improve things. I've had suspension work done by LE Engineering before:

Awesome thanks for the insight I will check them out for sure and see where I am at

· Registered
408 Posts
Of course those Nix30 will be better than modified OEM cartridges, but IMHO the shock should be upgraded before the cartridges. You can install different springs and oil in the forks as part of a normal service, no additional labor/time, required. Doing any change to the stock shock is a PITA, and say, if you want to try a different oil in the shock you're looking at a $250+ rebuild (350 on the first revalve/respring/rebuild, if you're not quite satisfied, you're looking at another 250... already halfway of what a new aftermaket shock would've been). That's why I rather go with an aftermarket shock right away, on the forks you can easily play with different oil weight, air gap and what not.

That's not to mention that a few years down the road, if you decide to sell the bike, a modified OEM shock is worthless. A good aftermarket shock will hold 1/2 or 1/3 of its value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.