Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2012 750r. When new, it was factory set very stiff. Both the front and rear were topped out. The bike was a bit edgy for me to ride it with confidence.

I tried set the sag to as compliant as the suspension would allow. The pre-load on the front forks is backed out all the way and the rear also backed off a good clip. I was only able to get approx 25mm front; and followed this with 20mm rear. I am 165#.

The bike is now quite a bit easier for me to handle. I can now feel it take a set in a corner. It is much less jittery at corner entry and I can get much more aggressive with the throttle at exit than before. The bike no longer wheelies, unless you try to.

Q: I understand that the Showa BPF's are different when it comes to setting spring pre-load. But, if the pre-load is adjusted all the way soft, then would the next step be to soften the fork spring rate?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fwiw, I got to say that is not heard of very often. Usually, it is the other way around. But, who knows who messed with it before you purchased it.

I had a similar issue with my new to me k9 600. I took it to traxxion dynamics today (suspension shop in my area) and set up my stockers. The front was ridiculously soft, and felt very light/twitchy when riding. Not very confidence inspiring. Preload ended being set about a half a turn out from all the way. Btw, I am 170# without gear.

The rear was actually over sprung (first for me, and the tuner. He measured a few times to be sure. This is my 6th gsxr) and we backed off preload to actually get some sag. Got it to about 28mm

Feels a ton better and balanced after rebound/comp tweaked.

To answer your question, yes you would need a spring rate for your weight if you cannot get a decent measurement within range.
I would confirm your measurements and technique with getting them first though. :dunno

1 - 2 of 2 Posts