Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas

Should i pay to set my suspension for track and street? Is there a big difference.Getting charged $100 per bike ? Anyone that had there stock suspension dialed in by the shops please share!
Cheerios

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
It shouldn't cost $100 to set up your stock suspension, it isn't like they are making ride height/geometry changes.

You can do it yourself you a friend if you want, it isn't difficult.

Set the sag first using the preload adjusters. Up front, shoot for 30-35mm of sag for the track, and 35-40mm for the street. Out back, shoot for 25-30mm of sag for track, 30-35mm of sag for the street.

Then set your rebound damping. You want the bike to rebound quickly without overshooting and then bouncing again. Finally, set your compression so that it is compliant over bumps, but firm. You don't want it soft like a Cadillac, and you don't want it too hard where the bumps to upset the chassis.

Don't be afraid to try, and make sure you only adjust one thing at a time, that way you eliminate any variables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have set my road bike,followed instructions carefully i just don't know what to feel ,my mind is telling me it can be alot better

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
Here is some great info for you, it might help you figure out what to look for with feel.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60836&highlight=suspension+101

One thing you might want to do when you set your rebound is to dial the compression all the way out (softest) so it doesn't interfere with how the rebound is behaving. Then set your compression. This helps me when I'm setting things up after a rebuild or the like.
Like Anthony said, you don't want it to be bouncy, you want it to return to neutral quickly.
Give it a good shove with the front brake on, make sure you have a loose grip as it comes up, it should top out gently and return to neutral, thats it. If it bounces more than that, it is too fast/not enough damping and if it doesn't have the slight top out then to neutral it is too slow/too much damping. Make your adjustments a click (1/4 turn) at a time. Rebound it the harder of the two I have found and it takes a lot of trial and error to figure it out. Be patient and you will figure it out. This is the technique I have been using and my suspension is setup perfectly for me at my riding level. Good luck :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have mine done in jhs racing Bristol. Give them bike tell them you weight abd they know what free sag to give you so sag is correct and they do rest also. This company races the tt so they know what they doing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts