Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Suzuki factory manual is kinda cryptic about where the measurement is to be taken as well... the way I set up my rear spring preload is to have someone hold the bike upright while I measure the distance from the axle to a point on the frame... and then when I sit on the bike I want it to sag(the measurement decreases) between 1" and 1 1/2" with just my weight on the bike... don't use a stand to do this, or it will change the measurement. You can make the sag whatever seems to suit your comfort level/riding style... Try out setting it to 1 1/4" and ride it around some and see how it feels. compress the spring more to get less sag, compress it less to get more sag. I always figured that the spring preload was just for setting the ride height, and the soft/hard settings were all taken care of with the damping force adjusters ...hope that helps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have just set my suspension to the setting given in my haynes manual apart from the pre load on the rear shock.

All the settings needed adjusting and the rear preload was wound right to the top of the shock i.e the rear end is low. In the manual it says set it to 7.7cm, thats it. Were the hell do i measure 7cm? Does it mean perhaps the adjusting ring, 7.7cm from the top of the shock?

p.s anyone got a preload spanner i can borrow!

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FastCat:
The Suzuki factory manual is kinda cryptic about where the measurement is to be taken as well... the way I set up my rear spring preload is to have someone hold the bike upright while I measure the distance from the axle to a point on the frame... and then when I sit on the bike I want it to sag(the measurement decreases) between 1" and 1 1/2" with just my weight on the bike... don't use a stand to do this, or it will change the measurement. You can make the sag whatever seems to suit your comfort level/riding style... Try out setting it to 1 1/4" and ride it around some and see how it feels. compress the spring more to get less sag, compress it less to get more sag. I always figured that the spring preload was just for setting the ride height, and the soft/hard settings were all taken care of with the damping force adjusters ...hope that helps.<hr></blockquote>

Fast Cat: off topic - have you done the Three Flags??

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bcjohn:

Fast Cat: off topic - have you done the Three Flags??
<hr></blockquote>

John,

Nope, that falls under the list headed "one day" though. I got the IBA pin by doing the "baby butt" (1,000 miles in 24 hours). I've got tentative plans to go for the 1,500-mile/24 hour run this summer with one other bike; we're planning on going from Seattle to Sioux Falls, SD. The next big ride I want to do is the 50cc (coast-to-coast in 50 hours) but I'm not sure I'll be able to make that run this summer, or wait til next. My ultimate goal, of course, is to actually do the Iron Butt rally one day, but there's these annoying things called rent and bills and stuff that keep demanding my attention... My "one day" list *is* rather long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts