Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi could anyone recommend good fast road riding suspension setup for 96 750 WT? I weigh 16 stone and am 6ft 3. Already lost 2 stone so I can't lose anymore. Bike handles well but I'm sure it can be even better with some tweeking cause standard settings aren't usually set for 16 stone riders. Any help much appreciated!

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
tico..you have a magazine called mcn..id get the last two issues and in there youll find the information your looking for..

suspension settings are not something you can just dial in..youll need a friend and a tape measure...if you cant get to these magazines, do a search on this site on suspension..

is mr.pants alive and well??

[ 09-19-2002, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: spongebob ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the mcn magazines and was going to use it to set up the suspension but as I don't really know much about it I was just looking for information from somebody who's similar weight as me to use as a starting point rather than starting from begining. What do you mean by that?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
tico,

i've got my front preload at 2 rings showing, comp 1.5 turns out, reb 2 turns out, forks dropped 15mm

rear preload is back to std now, comp 1.5 turns, rebound, 2.5 turns

but, all that and i'm only 11 stone plus gear

what i'd be tempted to do is get new springs for the front (40-50 quid)

i'd say get em for the rear also but my tuner mate weighs sameish as you and he said my rear end (of the fucking bike before you do) felt lovely.

you could or should get them revalved also but prices get higher then, and you get ripped off for service in ireland so i understand.

dan

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
tico, mr.pants is a dOOd from ireland,no problem.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Keep in mind that just because someone else has there bike setup with X number of preload bars showing doesnt meen that your bike will work the same with the same number of bars showing...

Set your preload so you have 30mm of sag..

Anyone know what stones to pounds is???

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hi John, hope your doin well mate

i'm sure its 14 pounds to a stone

that make him 225 pounds or so

my settings are strange i know, but seem to suit me (untill i crashed)

dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by dan uk:
Hi John, hope your doin well mate

i'm sure its 14 pounds to a stone

that make him 225 pounds or so

my settings are strange i know, but seem to suit me (untill i crashed)

dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah I'm around 220 pounds. I was thinking of fitting new springs at the front anyway. It's too soft for me at the moment.Eventualy I'll get Ohlins or WP at the back. Don't know when though, they're so bloody expensive. Would used ones be any good or is it waste of time? In the mean time I just want to get the best out of the standard suspension. As I said the bike handles well the way it is,the front is a bit soft but nothing heavier springs can't cure. I think I'll just have to start from scratch. You're right John somebody else's settings probably won't suit me. If nothing I'll get more experience with setting up suspension.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok... here's the real way to do it. At least according to my own experience with some racers I know.
(for street riding:)
Turn everything to relatively its softest setting. Then ride often and adjust tighter as you go to get the best setup for your riding style.
Remember that preload will be how much weight or load you're setting on the suspension before it goes through it's rebounding and compressing. So set that to your liking early.
Now as for rebounding, that's really important. You're cornering hard and you notice that a lot of corners on an average street are not so smooth, so you set it so your rear (super important) in the middle of trailing, will maintain the tire contact per the contouring of the road. In other words in the middle of corning hard, you don't want it so stiff that you start hopping off the ground and get it kicking out from under you. There pretty much has to be a balance of dampening and rebound control.
You see racers constantly working on their setups so they get maximum hook-up for traction in their hardest cornering. Start from the softest point and harden up as you go until you reach your most comfortable point that is easy to manage when handling diverse terrain.

You don't have to take my word for it, but it's just what's worked for me so far. I can out handle most of my friends because I setup my suspension all the time.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well preload should not be used to adjust the way the bike rides.. You should set it and then use the valves to change the ride... Now, this is if you have the correct springs in the bike...

For a 220lbs rider your springs are way to soft.. Front and rear. Try getting new springs before you do anything... Dont bother with a new shock unless you are really riding hard... The stock valving is nice on them when the bike is sprung correct. If you have the wrong springs in it, the bike will never ride worth a crap...

After you get the springs for it then you can play with the ride hieght. The rear of the bike should come up about a total of 15mm, so you want to try and find washers that are like 7.5mm thick and put them in the ride hieght adjuster. Some people like more others dont... I have a bit more then that but not much...

DO NOT DO THIS UNTILL YOU HAVE THE CORRECT SPRINGS IN THE FRONT OF YOUR BIKE. If your springs are to soft then it will make the front end feel heavy and make it push out on you... Then most of the time you end up in a low side...

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can agree with that entirely. You do want "suspension" support for sure! Weight is key in how much preload your springs can supply, or handle rather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers lads I'll do that first and then see if I really need new back shock, thanks everybody for all the input!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts