Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanted to get some feedback from you all that race a lot on the track and on the street. I've been taking a lot of time getting accustomed from my zx7r to this 1000. Ive had it now for about a year and have been letting myself progress "naturally" on it, only taking baby steps when it feels right to do so. Well now it's been about a year since Ive had it...and Im taking corners at just about full lean now on it, not quite dragging knee though since I rarely have my full gear on going to and from work. ( I was going to give a speed but speed is relative to the corner youre taking right?) So Im going around this corner at give or take 130mph and at near full lean the tires break away because of a paint line. Now they gripped again...no big deal...but I got to thinking about suspensions and tires after that.

I now have a set of m1's on the bike and love them. Waaaay better tire to me then the stock ones. Im starting to play a little bit with the compression dampening as well to rid myself of the mushy front end dives when braking before a turn. I went up a few clicks from stock..and left the rear alone. Feels good now. What I wanted to know from you all ( for those of you who are around 150lbs) is what kind of chassis setup do you all have?

Im also thinking of installing the race tech gold valves in the front and rear because well...I can't afford the ohlins. OH well. Give me some input guys...Im new to this suspension stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's so much stiction in my stock '01 forks I gave up and put the 750 forks on, much better. They cost less than the Traxxion/Racetech
options, I can't say I've compared them all at speed on bumpy roads though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been doing some research based on my findings on the SR site and my service manual, and of course various sources of reading. Sooo please correct me if Im wrong here...

Preload affects the stiffness of the spring. IE more preload will compress the spring more and give a stiffer ride. Less preload will decompress the spring and allow for more flex and sag with weight applied.

Dampening in general will decrease the speed at which the forks/shock compress and rebound. More dampening equals slower and more confined movement correct? IE the less amount of clicks from full stiff you are, the slower the movement and ideally the "stiffer" the ride? Too much dampening can limit the tracking capability of the bike as well...and should be taken into consideration Im told too.

Lowering the chassis by raising the forks will improve the turn in capability but at the expense of high speed straight line stability, and sometimes will have to be adjusted due to the type of tires being fitted. Most SS tires have a more rounded profile for better turning and can affect the ride height by as much as 5mm?

Sound about right to you guys? I want to make sure Im on the right track before I start fiddling around with mine. I made a chart of what is stock on my bike, where mine is set, and what some other people's setups are as well. Ive noticed that the changes aren't by all that much, except for one who used almost twice as much preload, with twice the damping all around just about. Would that mean the individual could have been heavier and didnt want as much movement? Or that he was lighter and didnt need the movement? Im not too keen on the "why's" just yet as far as whats better stiff or soft, where it is required and where it is preference. Hopefully one of you guys can shed some light for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its funny how the trivial non educating threads get all the responses isnt it? C'mon guys...I know one of you out there is smart enough to help me out here with a few sentences. Tell you what....my next post will be of a photoshop'd pic of my bike with a chick on it. Deal?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Definately raise the forks up by 5mm. Since I'm old and fat(235lbs in my gear)This made a big difference the way the bike steered. Also I found that cranking up the rebound and compression damping on the forks made it much easier to steer in while trailing the front brakes.Preload is also increased with one line showing. Serious trackday strafing will require a re-valve though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
GixxerVan:
We've all been there, trying to learn exactly what the suspension is doing and how we can improve the feel. Go to www.traxxion.com and read the technical articles section, there are 2 very good articles that directly address the shortcomings of the 01-02 1000 suspension. You'll find that going up on the compression is actually not what you want on the stock forks because the compression cartrige has such small orifices that for slow speed stuff (rises in the road and what not) more compression is good, but on a less than smooth surface (the street) this will actually cause the front end to be worse because you'll get hydraulic lock when you hit sudden bumps. I could go on forever...Max from traxxion really knows what he's doing and I really found his articles helpful, but not being a full racer I couldn't justify big money on either my forks. I ended up putting the Race Tech valve kit in my bike and fiddled with it a bit more to get it where I like it...it's not as good as other bikes that I've riden...but it's at or above my riding ability currently. I also added stiffer springs as this is the only way to reduce the nose dive...but at $150 the stockers might be ok for you..esp if you're not going to the track.., I wouldn't go any more than .90 which is what I've got in mine and I'm 175lbs

As for setting on the stock units...I ran 2 clicks from full hard on rebound and nearly full soft on compression in the forks and it felt really good...I think I was 12 clicks from full hard on compression and it actually absorbed the harsh bumps in the road like it was supposed to. I also added 6mm of spacers on the rear shock which in my opinion brought the steering to life on the bike (much quicker steering), and raised the fork tubes 5mm through the tubes

And finally...the first thing that you should do is set sag on the bike before you twiddle with anything. remember the bike is supposed to sag some, not much...but at your weight you'll probably have to take a little preload off of the rear of the bike...front should be OKish.

sorry for rambling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts