Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...last night at nelson ledges my rear was acting up in turn 4. I don't know how many of you know the track, but that is the first left and it is pretty bumpy...most bumpy on the track.

Background:
Bike - '02 gsxr 600
Shock - Penske double w/ 400lb spring
Settings (current) - 10mm free sag, #4 compression, 20 clicks out on rebound

Symptoms:
at first my rear end was getting bounced all over the place, so I added 3 clicks of rebound and it was no better. Then, I started thinking about what I was feeling. I would his a bump and the rear tire would kick up and not return to the pavement soon enough causing the rear of the bike to drop with the tire (unsettling the chassis big time!) So, I decided to go the other way and remove 3 clicks of rebound from original setting (6 clicks from current setting)...speeding up the rebound stroke. this helped alot with traction and the chassis issue, but I am still getting a bit of a pogo affect. It is much better, but not great. It is almost a swooshy feel in the rear around that turn.

any ideas? anyone have similar problems?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Ride a track without potholes and cars on centerblocks

j/k bro. I have no clue. The suspension thing is voodoo to me

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha...wish i had that choice...but free track time on this track is still good for me!

BTW....it is more of a wallow from the rear, mid corner, after a bump.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Maybe take down a pound or two off the rear air psi from 32psi (what dunlop recommends for us gpa's) to 30 or 29, and loosen up the rebound.

I assume youll want more suspension travel, if you tighten the comp the blow will hit harder, and if the rebound is to tight the tire will lift in the air. But im not a suspension guy, I would have flagged down a suspension guy to help you out.

Is your bike all setup? Sag/ ride height etc...

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Are you sure it's a problem you can solve with suspension?

Not saying it isn't, but it's one turn. Will changing your suspension substantially to deal with this one turn sacrifice speed through the rest of the turns? Or did you find dialing out rebound helped you all over the place?

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
is there a useable line through there without hitting whoopdeedoo's ?

if its just that one turn, I wouldnt mess around on your suspension that much unless it doesnt affect whatsoever the rest of a lap.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the adjustment definitely help out ALL OVER the place. This turn is just the "worst case".

I rode both of my teamates bikes and you feel the bumps, but no wallowing....wallowing is spooky!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe take down a pound or two off the rear air psi from 32psi (what dunlop recommends for us gpa's) to 30 or 29, and loosen up the rebound.

I assume youll want more suspension travel, if you tighten the comp the blow will hit harder, and if the rebound is to tight the tire will lift in the air. But im not a suspension guy, I would have flagged down a suspension guy to help you out.

Is your bike all setup? Sag/ ride height etc...
yes, bike is set up correctly by GMD. I am double checking my sag #'s tonight.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
load ur shit up and come to iowa with us next weekend and ride a nice track

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey Matt, double check the set screw for the preload collar on the shock. Somehow mine worked it's way out and the collar had worked it's way up a bit messing up my sag # alot.

And bring that bitch to Iowa for MAM in a week. Chad could use a ride.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
load ur shit up and come to iowa with us next weekend and ride a nice track

iowa

are you doing nelsons this weekend? if so call me!
YES IL BE THERE

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hey Matt, double check the set screw for the preload collar on the shock. Somehow mine worked it's way out and the collar had worked it's way up a bit messing up my sag # alot.

IM BRINGIN THE RACE VAN I DONT NEED SHIT LOL GET UR ASS TO WORK

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

actually I check my sag #'s last night and they are off in the rear, but off on the tight side

I had previously last race set the rear free sag to 10mm. Last night is was showing like 6mm. if the collar was backing off, I would think it would go the other way.

How much is normal for your sag #'s to change?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
6mm is fine, probably better than 10mm. What's the rider sag? That's more important anyway.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
6mm is fine, probably better than 10mm. What's the rider sag? That's more important anyway.
Well, I check my sag #'s and sure enough my collar had moved A LOT, but to the stiff side
I run with 10mm of free sag and I ony had about 5.5mm. Remember, Nelsons is rough...that is why I run my sag #'s on the loose side.

Anyhow, reset my sag numbers and went to 19 clicks out on rebound and #5 on compression (Penske Double)....WAY BETTER!

have fun at MAM!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts