Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering what can I do to improve my handle corners better. I have a 1991 gsxr-1100 , like you know its a heavy bike. and my other question is what can i do to increase more power without spending to much money.

1991 Gsxr-1100
Stage3 jet kit
D&D complete Exhaust
1/4 mile Sprocket.

Thank you

·
Registered
547 Posts
The cheapest thing you can do is get rid of some of that excess lard.On me mates 1100M there were lots of heavy bits that did nothing important that were fairly easy ti remove.I think his name is 'Kiwi' on this board .....otherwise I'm sure there lots of other guys that can tell you what & how.
This should help both performance & handling without costing much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The first thing I would recommend is fitting a 750 swingarm or shorten yours by 2 inches,I had my original swingarm shortened.
I also bought a secondhand headlight and removed the glass from it and siliconed a headlight protector in the fairing hole.
Replace the mirrors with small aftermarket ones.
You can also remove the steel frame under the rear fairing that holds the number plate and remote reservoir,you can hold the taillight in place by making a bracket to bolt to the frame and the rear gaurd can be cable tied to the frame then just bolt your number plate straight to the gaurd.
There is a steel frame under the front gaurd that can also be removed.

There are alot of other things you can do to lighten your bike it all helps.
Just do the swingarm first and go from there,you will be suprised how much better your bike handles with the shorter swingarm.

cheers.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what year swing arm should I get and would it be a straght swap or is there alot of custom work that has to be done???

thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Kiwi just had his original shortend....easy if you know a good ally welder & you don't have to worry about linkages ect.Just cut around the weld that holds the ends in place......they spigot inside....then cut 2"
off the ends....get it even...put the ends back in & re-weld...being careful to keep them strait.Looking at kiwi's one you would never know except the wheel fits under the back much better!Might pay to take a couple of links out of the chain though..........

·
Registered
434 Posts
would recommend you learn how to measure and set the spring sag front and back. I would expect you will find the springs are worn out or are the wrong weight for your application, if so fix this area up and you will improve your handling a lot. For more info go to www.racetech .com and do a valving search and it will tell you what the stock springs are and what they would recommend for a starting point this should point you in the right direction. A set of gold valves would also be good. For tuning info go to www.robbynitroz.nl go the boulevard page and find the link to the supertune articles there is a ton of info on tuning by some of Englands top tuners.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Putting a real shock (WP and Fox are available) on the back and front end tuned (racetech is local for me) really improved things even before I put a '94 USD on the front. The USD forks just solidified everything when it came to hard braking and controlling the bike under braking.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
89-95 750 will work but be shure to get the corresponding suspension links for the swing arm you get.
Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts