Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figure I'll have this bike long enough to want to get suspension set for me. I'm assuming stock won't cut it (I'm 120, probably 135? with gear). Have others had springs/suspension changed to accomodate your lighter weight & found it worth it? No suspension experts around here, but I'd be willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. I have my 1st trackday in May, so would be nice to have something for that.

And if it matters, I'm on the 2009 600.

Thanks!!

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
For as light as you are it will be a night & day difference. When I first brought my K7 home I thought it rode terrible. Just setting the sag properly, transformed the bike, I'm 190. Being so far out you need to change springs will be a major change for the better. :cheers

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
So I figure I'll have this bike long enough to want to get suspension set for me. I'm assuming stock won't cut it (I'm 120, probably 135? with gear). Have others had springs/suspension changed to accomodate your lighter weight & found it worth it? No suspension experts around here, but I'd be willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. I have my 1st trackday in May, so would be nice to have something for that.

And if it matters, I'm on the 2009 600.

Thanks!!
From Racetech's website, for a 2009 GSXR-600

Rider Weight: 125 lbs. (without gear)

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate for Street: 0.770 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: .900 kg/mm (stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRING
Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate for Street: 7.56 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.4 kg/mm (stock)

Going by the stock fork and shock spring numbers up there, they are in the ballpark range of a 200-210 lbs person. Obviously WAYYYYY too stiff for you.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the wonderful information!! I'm definitely going to see what it would all cost me. Sounds like a mod worth doing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you for the wonderful information!! I'm definitely going to see what it would all cost me. Sounds like a mod worth doing.
Please keep me in the loop with what you find. I'm in the same boat as this bike wasn't designed for someone as small as myself. I went out riding yesterday and was just about pounded to death because the suspension isn't set for my weight at all. I'm pretty certain that my forks need a rebuild, and I'll be looking for a softer spring for the back- If i've got to rip the bike down during prime riding season, I'm not wasting any time and will do it all at once.

Stinks because I bought this thing with less than a week to ride it before winter, so I didn't realize how hard the suspension was. If you find anything for our weight, please post it back up!!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts

Fork springs are about $100 a pair. Shock spring is also about $100, typically......

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. My dealer is ordering Racetech springs for me & will be be "fair" on the install. The 2 springs are $220, and 2-3 hrs labor. Of course they'll put in the right fork oil for my weight, too.

I've never really felt like my bike rode hard or badly, but I may find I just didn't know any better! My rear tire steps out a bit on occasion, & I'm hoping that gets fixed at least.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, update on my suspension. Took a couple weeks for all the parts to get in.

In a nutshell, it works great! The tires feel much more secure, although I've yet to get to test it fully cause of wet roads. After adjusting sag, it might have lowered the bike a fraction of an inch, but then that wasn't my intent.

At 1st I thought bumps were smoother, but on wash-board road it feels bumpier. Overall, it wasn't a huge difference to me either way.

With labor it ended up around $450. Was it worth it? Not certain at this point, but the track day might settle it. Either way, I'm glad I have a bike set for me.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ok, update on my suspension. Took a couple weeks for all the parts to get in.

In a nutshell, it works great! The tires feel much more secure, although I've yet to get to test it fully cause of wet roads. After adjusting sag, it might have lowered the bike a fraction of an inch, but then that wasn't my intent.

At 1st I thought bumps were smoother, but on wash-board road it feels bumpier. Overall, it wasn't a huge difference to me either way.

With labor it ended up around $450. Was it worth it? Not certain at this point, but the track day might settle it. Either way, I'm glad I have a bike set for me.
kick ass, keep us updated on the track date and how well the bike handles!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
After adjusting sag, it might have lowered the bike a fraction of an inch, but then that wasn't my intent.
If the sag has been properly set it should drop 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches actually, so hopefully they knew what they were doing and actually did it properly.

If the person setting up your suspension knew what they were doing they would have the sag and rebound set in the proper range for you, and put the compression in a ballpark range, from there you would adjust the compression to suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the sag has been properly set it should drop 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches actually, so hopefully they knew what they were doing and actually did it properly.

If the person setting up your suspension knew what they were doing they would have the sag and rebound set in the proper range for you, and put the compression in a ballpark range, from there you would adjust the compression to suit your needs.
Thanks. I'd be suprised if it's set right since sportbikes are rare here. I plan on getting it set at our trackday. That'll be the real test.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Thanks. I'd be suprised if it's set right since sportbikes are rare here. I plan on getting it set at our trackday. That'll be the real test.

Gotcha. Well, that video link up there from onthethrottle is definately a worthwhile watch.

Also, if you want to pick up some additional knowledge, in my opinion these videos are absolutely worth their weight in GOLD.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263317

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha. Well, that video link up there from onthethrottle is definately a worthwhile watch.
Yes, that's a fabulous video! Best thing I've seen on suspension. I'm lost without the pictures, and moving ones are even better. And then it's done on (almost) my bike too! Can't get better than that.

Thanks! :punk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts