Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My impression of the first class was a VERY TIRING one. Just a brief description of myself i am about 5'5" 184 lbs ( i workout so i have a very stock/thick build not cut at all although looking at me you'd think i was 160-170) the first warmup was doing Bear crawls from one end of the room to the other. Then on the return reverse crab walk. I was gassed within my second pass hahahah (LOL) Carrying all my weight will very little cardio training was very diificult for me. We then paired up with another partner and parry'd up on giving offense and defense, this was to train in seeing where all points of attacks are and avoding them while knowing that if the other opponent hits that they are going to be coming in multiple directions. Next up was clinch work against the matted wall in which there is one opponent with his back to the wall and he clinches with the other guy trying to either pin him against the wall or go for a take down. I learned that a guy who was probably 40-50 lighter then me could toss me like a rag doll(Boy that was FUN!) This was probably the most tiring cause the clinching became a chess match as figuring how to pull your opponent to the wall or for a takedown while using all your energy to do so. So unless you have some really good cardio to do this, it will really wear you down fairly quickly. Next up we worked on foot work and defense, again this is all tiring as your gaurd is always up and you are on the balls of your feet. Lastly we worked on offense and defense again but with more of a close range.

All in all i am very pleased with the class and i see how truly bad my cardio is. Although i used to mostly weight train i have since stopped that 3 weeks ago. All the weight training i did was very detrimental to my bodys way of being used on the mats. If fact i think it really hindered my ability to be flexible cause my muscles we so tightned that it wore my energy down faster. In the end i know that my conditioning as to be more serious if i want to continue to keep pace with the class. I woke up this morning with my legs and back sore as hell but it feels real good. I definitely can't wait to continue to take my classes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am taking my MMA classes over at One Spirit Martial Arts over at the Alexandria Virginia location. The instructor for the MMA classes is Aaron Riley who is a current pro UFC fighter.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ya, I know who he is. Aaron has been around awhile. I was just wondering who the instructors are. That is cool. Hope you stick with it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gotta tell you I love it so far. Even though I just had my fisrt class, I started working on my cardio thereafter.
I know it will take a while to even keep up with the class, I at least want to get started on it so I better my health
Fitness. I orignially took this class because I am an active person and I wanted to take something that I really want
To excel and maybe be good at. I don't forsee any amateur status but I would like to be more prepared
In a self defense way. I found this to be a serious confidence booster. I am a fairly cinfident person at times but I am also
Non confrontational and avoid violence like the plague. I would like an outlet to better myself mentally and physicall
And I may just have found it

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brazil-got a question for you.

When conditioning your body how do i control my breathing. I know that i shouldn't be breathing out of my mouth but what i do is i inhale/exhale through my nose only. Also when i tie up with someone on the mats, how should i be breathing? Short and quick or long and deep?

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
I gotta tell you I love it so far. Even though I just had my fisrt class, I started working on my cardio thereafter.
I know it will take a while to even keep up with the class, I at least want to get started on it so I better my health
Fitness. I orignially took this class because I am an active person and I wanted to take something that I really want
To excel and maybe be good at. I don't forsee any amateur status but I would like to be more prepared
In a self defense way. I found this to be a serious confidence booster. I am a fairly cinfident person at times but I am also
Non confrontational and avoid violence like the plague. I would like an outlet to better myself mentally and physicall
And I may just have found it
Exactly how I was. I'm a pretty active person as well but I hated doing cardio at the gym. Started taking Muay Thai for few months now and love it. Not looking to be the next UFC star at all, just better my health and learn a bit as well. I'm lucky as in the Bay Area there are a lot of quality training places - Fairtex, American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), Cung Le's Gym and numerous smaller ones as well :punk.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got tired just reading that. :lol Sounds exhausting, but no doubt the hard work will pay off.
You don't even know that half of it. Doing bear crawls at full force nearly made me throw up. I was wheezing like no other within my 2nd go around:lol

I have since been trying to do those same exercises since last week so i am hoping by me doing those exercise repetitively i will be more prepared to keep up with the class. I have to admit it gets a bit intimidating since i am the new guy and everyone there are young bucks who have been doing it for 6 months plus so there is no excuse for them to be unfit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly how I was. I'm a pretty active person as well but I hated doing cardio at the gym. Started taking Muay Thai for few months now and love it. Not looking to be the next UFC star at all, just better my health and learn a bit as well. I'm lucky as in the Bay Area there are a lot of quality training places - Fairtex, American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), Cung Le's Gym and numerous smaller ones as well :punk.
I remember when i first trained in MT back in 99' I did my training session and got winded rather quickly. I hate doing cardio, heck i still hate it, but i know if i want to excel in my class let alone keep up i have to stick to a strict cardio routine. What ever i learn in class i usually do that the next day and so forth. The most exhausting so far other then the bear crawls are the burpees exercise. Those will tire out your thighs like nobodies business. I can only imagine this is a very good exercise since MT style are the strikers thus they throw a good amount of kicks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i started doing burpees with a friend of mine and yeah they are a bitch. the most i have been able to do so far is 80 but that fucker does close to 200 none stop
How long have you been doing burpees to squeeze out 80. Is this doing it straight or resting in between doing it tabata style

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
I am 8 and 5 right now, and can tell you training for a fight will beat you more than the fight itself in most cases. By the time you step into a ring, your adrenaline has almost worn you out. I love MMA though, and the work out that goes with it.

As for breathing, try to breath out when trying to break or trying to complete a submission. Ex: You have his back, hook his arm, swing your leg over his neck, and fall backward, done fast enough to take a breath in, you now have an arm bar position, breath out as you pull on his arm HARD. Fast and short breaths will leave you light headed and winded. Practice breathing throughout everyday activities. It will start to come natural.

DONT give up weight training. Keep building strength, its actually good in terms of bone density, and injury. Eat enough protein to keep muscle mass, but cut out some sugars and saturated fats and try to lean out.

Good Luck!:cheers

·
Registered
781 Posts
Im hoping that when telling him to breath out while pulling on his arm HARD, you meant to breath out hard, not pull on his arm hard. Cranking a submission on a training partner is a great way to no longer have anyone willing or able to train with.

Anyways, when rolling your breathing will go alot like you roll. Sometimes the pace is fast and sometimes its slow. When you get to a comfortable position, slow down the pace and catch your breath. I try to breath through my nose most of the time. When I start getting tired, in through nose, out through mouth. Every once in awhile its good to try to push out all the air in your lungs to get more fresh oxygen in them.

As far as weight training goes... strength train. Dont train to lift weight, but train to get strength. Focus on lighter weights, more reps, muscle endurance, flexibility, and functional strength. Also work on your anaerobic cardio. These are all the things you that will benefit you in MMA in general.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Im hoping that when telling him to breath out while pulling on his arm HARD, you meant to breath out hard, not pull on his arm hard. Cranking a submission on a training partner is a great way to no longer have anyone willing or able to train with.

I'm talking about pulling hard on the arm in a fight, should have clarified better.:cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts