Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well to start with my new bodywork didnt get to me on time so i was irritated to say the least, but fortunately i didnt throw out my trashed stuff and i drilled a lot of holes, and zip tied and ducktaped it together just to make it to the races.

it was a rough start getting to the track friday night.. i was doing the head drop on the way down i was so tired and ended up missing two roads trying to get to the track which cost us a little over a half hour.. and subsequently we ended up having a deer run into the side of my car which trashed the front fender about 3 miles from the track.. oh well, shit happens. we just wanted to get to the track (my fiance and i that is).. we get to the track about 11pm and drop off the bike and set up the canopy, and then shot out for our hotel. they dont take phone reservations but are never full.. until friday night that is.. shit, our 65 bucks a night hotel is full so we got stuck going to a place for 150 a night. really sucks to pay that money for a bed for 6 hours, but oh well it had to be done.

we get to the track only to find out my card was declined and my prereg didnt go through so i had to post reg which set me back to the 3rd and 4th rows which really sucked since i would have been on the 1st row right next to andy since we reged at the same time. then we made some further suspension adjustments to the bike from the last event hoping it would make a big difference, and it did! i went out in first practice and ran 22's. nothing spectacular, but considering i crashed on this track the past two times i was there i was timid to say the least. we had two practice sessions and i managed to run 21's in the second session.. i was happy with that as it was an improvement from the first session..

i only had one race that day which was gto (1/2 hour endurance race) and man did that kick my ass. managed to run 21's and capture a 6th place which is just what i deserved (although i wanted better of course). after having a big crash in turn 10 i was really being a punk in that turn all weekend, and i really wasnt hammering t1 either as that is where i crashed the first weekend this season. once i get my head straight in those two turns ill be able to run considerably faster.. t10 is a fast right hander going onto the straight away, and you might even say the most important turn on the track as you need to get on there fast to make some good time.

well, i had been running a set of 208 gps( not the A's either) that were a couple years old so far this season, and this was my third weekend on them and it was time to change them out. i opted to go for the more expensive 209's in the 190/60 size, but i stayed with the american front as compared to the euro front which i do prefer, but it was 40 bucks cheaper to stick with the US version. so we had the entire afternoon to get that changed and make suspension changes.. i have a stock rear shock so its a pain in the ass to adjust ride height as compared to an aftermarket shock, but there was no rush.. but we would have to wait til the next day to test it out.

sunday morning practice showed me that the changes in ride height were good and the tire felt nice. ran 21's with out too much effort.

then we had qualifying for ungp and ended up running very low 20' with a best of 20.107. i pulled in early since i didnt want to burn up my tires and thought i had run pretty good. i was still braking a little early for t1, and also for t10. those 19's id been reaching for would have been there if i wasnt being such a punk in those two turns, but hey i still ran my best time ever on that track and i know ill hit my times soon enough..

first race for the day was unss which was a good race and i had some good battling with some people. i held 5th for a while until the second to last lap when i got on the gas too hard while leaned over and the front got very light and almost washed out on me but i stayed in the gas and kept it up, but i lost one spot. the guy got some pretty good ground on me, but i made it back up but fell short by .058 at the line from taking 5th so i got 6th. ran a 20.3 in this race.

second race was ungp and i was gridded on the 5th row.. i was feeling pretty spent already with 3 sessions on the track and the gto which kicked my ass the day before. i didnt do so well in this race and ended up finishing 12th with a best time of 20.9. i held a much better position for a while, but i really tired out bad and faded quickly which let some people get past me towards the last 3 laps.

last race of the day was race 13 (ungp was race 11) and i was really pooped now. i was able to run some more 20's in the beginning, but faded back to 22's with a best of 20.5. but with no energy to hold myself up under braking i had to brake early for a number of turns. although i was able to hold out for 4th place.. i had third for quite a while in this race, but i when i started fading a guy got by me knocking me back to 4th.

all in all it was a good weekend with good weather and good people. thanks to radrb8, bmann and his buddy jeff and most importantly my fiance for all her help.

ill see about getting some pics soon.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Re: Summit report 7/2-7/3

Bro, it was great out there battling with ya...I'm going to right beside ya in no time...And you are very welcome for all the help...

I learned alot following you and arnie around that place...Also can't forget the things I learned about the chute T4 from Nate...and some things from my buddy Scott Harwood who got into the .18's for the 1st time...

We'll be ripping it up @ VIR next month...Wabbit...LOL!!!

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

Good work Jon....funny the CC co. didn't alert you that your card had been declined..?

Sucks about the critter hittin the car...

On the upside....congratz on your times....you'll get em next time out...

·
Registered
328 Posts

It was nice to meet you. You'll meet my wife if ya come to barber

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts

good job., sucks about the car... and get rid of that US front., they just plane suck., they slide way more than the UK.,

and get on the bike again fattie., that many races shoudl not even bother you... hmm

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks guys i appreciate it. i was slowly building my confidence all weekend, but i never felt so many bumps in t10 as i did this weekend. and i know they were there last event but i just didnt realize them. and man, is that turn bumpy.. i really was taking it cautiously through there.. once i get over that i have no doubt about 19's. i was .2 away from a 19 which is merely a blink of an eye.. so i was pretty happy with that. but then it will be 18's that im after.. i might have to see when wera is running there this season. if they have an event in early august i think ill have to run it.

andy, you were running good for sure man. that bike suits you well without a doubt.. shit man, you got into the 21's!
all our races on sunday you had good starts man. i was pretty happy with my starts as well considering coming from the 4th row.. although i wasnt able to catch my rabbits for a little tow which would have been nice but it still put me in pretty decent shape. i know in that one race i put a pass on you that i hope wasnt too close.

dave, its been a while since i was on the euro front but i do remember feeling good on them. i assume you have run them back to back recently and are they really much better?i did end up pushing it pretty good twice this weekend and i suppose for 40 more bucks it would be worth the security to be on the better tire.. i know the euro has a steeper profile which gives more contact patch at full lean, but less stability in a straight line.

gsxr401, it was good to meet you too man.. and we would be glad to meet your wife as well .

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

i know in that one race i put a pass on you that i hope wasnt too close.
hahaha...you crack me up...insn't that what makes it fun...If you would've made me crash or run off the track...I'd have a problem... but if your rubbin...I'm rubbin back...you're not gettin the spot for free pal...!!!

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

just a few pics for you guys.. im gonna see about picking up the cd from these guys.

this is a cool shot from the first lap with both myself and andy in it.. the guy on the kawi eventually got by me when i just didnt have the juice to keep up the pace anymore.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

and one more picture that is pretty cool.. on a side note i should have changed out my sliders this weekend as i burned through the right one and burned through the velcro and my leathers a bit.. ill have to send them to barnicle bill for repairs this winter..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

OK how do you save & post those pics...? when I try...I get these are protected..blah, blah, blah shit box...!!!

I like the one of us in T6...!!!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts

Wow . . . that pavement looks as smooth as glass. And of course the studded snow tire wall is a nice added touch.

Summit

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

lol.. yeah there are certianly some rough spots with that track, but it is fun. t1, 5, 6 have concrete patches that make for rough transitions. turn 10 is bumpy as hell, and the entrance to 6 before the concrete is bumpy. turn 3 is a fast uphill left hander which is fun, but bumpy at the point where you start to tip it in. turn 4 is a very fast downhill right hander leading into a heavy braking zone for the left hand bus stop. 7, 8 and 9 are smooth, fast and flowing for the most part. and there are a handful of turns where there isnt that much run off. in that particular picture your not going smoking fast into the turn so the tires arent really a concern to me. but they are in some other turns.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

nice pics bro
its really good to hear you had a decent weekend and that you stayed on 2

on the other hand.... sorry that i didnt make it down this time. i have a really good reason for not coming down though... i just wont say quite yet though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts