Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill try to keep it brief. we got there late friday night and dropped off the bike and shot to the hotel.. we got the track early on a bright sunny morning and it looked real promising. first practice comes up, but i realized my right fork was oozing oil (i bought these forks used and supposedly they were just freshened up
). went out and the bike felt horrible. i couldnt believe it. i couldnt get on the gas anywhere without horrible head shake. even going down the front straight i couldnt go more than half throttle without a headshake that tried to throw me off. it was really weird.. thermosman was at the event so i knew i would have to go see him after the second practice session. also, in my session (3 laps in) there was a bad accident in t10 just in front of me and one guy was airlifted out. i hope he is alright. session done. there were more red flags in the other sessions and then it started pouring rain. at that point i decided to bring my forks over to thermosman.. the right fork would compress by hand all the way down to the bottom with no effort and the left wasnt much better (gsxrkid.rpm is a thief and a liar from the wera message board and believe me im going to take care of it). got the forks all re done and plugged back into the bike.. I have to give a huge thanks to mike fitzgerald as he was a huge help to me this weekend. i had 10mm of fork showing above the triples and my eye to eye on the shock was at 340, his eyes almost popped out of his head when i said this to him. he said raise the front and lower the rear. its kind of a pain in the ass to do the rear since its a rebuilt stocker so i just raised the front to 4mm showing.. didnt have another practice so i had to use my sprint race as a test. anyhow, it was basically the same damn thing. i couldnt get on the gas til i was almost straight up and down, and i was getting passed by 600's, and 750's on the straight.. and im not talking right out of t10, im talking towards the middle and end of the straight. i just couldnt go wfo at all! i ended up still running a 21.2 which was better than last weekend, but i knew i could go so much faster.

i pulled over to talk to gixxerboy75 (thanks for all the help bro) about how bad the bike was, and then #305 arnie hastings pulled over and said " i dont know how you ride that thing, it is the most ill handling machine ive ever seen on the track, and i stopped by cause i knew we mixed it up a bit last event" it was good to meet artie. he ended up passing me but i couldnt get back by him due to my problems..

then i went right to mike fitz. told him my problem. he checked out my bike and my rear was topped out with no sag. he quickly brought it within range and said to lower it more, and raise the front flush. well i didnt have time or material to get into lowering the rear more, but i did raise the front flush.. now i go out in my gto (which got shortened to 7 laps due to an intense amount of red flags on the day) we get 1 lap in and a guy tried to beat me on the brakes into 1 and i just went real deep and he couldnt make it and his bike went off the track and caught fire. so another red flag. we sat for about 12 minutes on hot pit til we gridded up again. got a pretty decent start (all the fast guys were there, himmelsbach, jenson, greenwood, wood, stokes, etc..) but the ultra fast guys took off. i was cruising at my own pace when all of a sudden i ran up on hector jiminez. now, he is a pretty quick guy who has run 18's, but normally 19's at summit. so a switch went off in my head that if i caught him only running 95% that i was moving at a good pace. so being that it was only the second lap i should have been patient but i got greedy and wanted to pass him too quickly. i caught in going into t8, and tried to go on the outside by t10. well, my front suspension wasnt having those bumps i ran into and i lost the front in t10. i was moving along pretty good, and im a little banged up. the new pipe on the bike is toast, and so is the upper fairing and tail.. its only cosmetic, but i was pretty mad to say the least. the bike finally felt safe to ride. i wasnt getting the violent head shakes when on the gas, but it still wasnt completely right.. i have to drop the rear a few and dial in a little more preload.. and honest at 220 i might need 1.0 springs rather than the .95's.

so what did i do this weekend.. i worked on the bike all day sat, and didnt get to watch any racing.. i had a total of about 13 laps this weekend, ran faster than last even on a bike that wanted to kill me. when i got the bike to handle somewhat decent i caught one of the regular expert winners. ill get the bike back together, and i feel quite confident that my next time down there ill be running in the teens and battling top three (so long as the national fast guys arent there
) i have more to add, but i gotta get off here now.

ill end with thanking my fiancee for all her help and support. big thanks to gixxerboy75 for his beverages, and pit help. thanks to laohu69 for his help too(and the shrimp were tasty), and nj as well. even though i busted up the bike, i got it close to being where it needs to be to handle right, and i was running quite fast and not even pushing it so i feel good for the next event.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
220lb? .95s should be fine.

While I'm sure you do need some better suspension and setup, I would not be surprised if the headshake isn't being caused by being too tight on the bars.

When I went to the 1k I had the same problem and had to force myself to go even looser on the bars than I was used to. I try to just go limp on the front end and squeeze the tank real tight with my knees. Stomp grip helped.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry we did not get to meet. I just could not take being out there again and not ride. glad your ok after a T10 off road event.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
That's a shame bro...thanks for the heads up on the seller, I was thinkin bout buyin that tail from him...

You'll get em next time...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The turn one incident was not your fault he was batteling my friend and my friend ran wide and bumped him. I was pitted in between both of them and was beside Eric that caused it and he almost left the track and I told him it was ok and finish. The good thing no one was hurt and the kawi that was up in flames was actually ok and working and racing today!
Hard to believe that wasd the biggest bike fire i have ever sceen. Wreck city at summit this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Good report bro.

Sorry to hear about your get off, but glad you're okay.

FWIW: When I was 230-240lbs GMD still had .95's in the 750's forks and they worked well. I'm not so sure at 220 you will need 1.0's, but hey give them a try and see how you like them.

I've been told (and discovered) that to eliminate head shake on accel usually means you need to go looser on the bars and/or get your body more foreward and weight the tank, or raise the front end or lower the back end a little (or some combination of the two).

Hey, is Hector still on the R6?

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys.

adam, no i didnt pay 700, i paid 500. and he said they were just refreshed by thermosman and only had 6 laps on them. the good thing is that mike fitz helped me get the bike set up, and made some serious adjustments to it, but he said i still needed to lower the rear a good deal. i just didnt have the time.

im glad the concensus is that .95's are good. i mean shit.. im almost 250 with full gear, but if you guys say so then i guess they should be good. i did get my sag #'s out of them this time. where as before i had the preload all the way down and couldnt get my sag, and compression all the way down as well and bottoming out like a mofo.

im going to give this gsxrkid a chance to make good and refund my money that it cost me to get them done right, or else im gonna blast him real good.

it was good to meet ya this weekend brandon..glad your finally on the track man.

and guys, this headshake is definately not from holding on too tight. it was truly a suspension issue. picture this. your going down the front straight (which is probably twice as long as loudons) your trying to go wfo and the bike starts to headshake violently. so, you try to sit forward to calm it down, but it gets worse so you sit back a little and it still gets bad but better than laying on the front. trying to go loose on the clipons had zero effect. your only option is to hold partial throttle down the entire straight (and that goes for the short run between 3 and 4, and 9 and 10 as well. i was loosing a lot of time not being able to get on the throttle.

coming out of the turns i would try wrestling the bike, then i would try just going with it, and it would always be the same thing.. just down right fucked up.

the good news is that although i didnt get much tracktime i did get to make some serious adjustments between sessions and the bike was handling far better. im going to drop the rear by 3mm's (i have 8mm of shims in there, one 5mm shim and 3 1mm shims.. so ill try removing the 3 first) hopefully that will get it where it needs to be geometry wise. but ill need to add another line of preload up front, and stiffen the compression just a click or so.
but thermosman took a lot of time out of his day to help me out. he stoppped what he was working on to work on my forks, and help set up my bike. it was greatly appreciated.

and the thing that really has me happy is that i know hector is fast (as i mentioned above) and i caught him running a comfortable 95% pace. and gecko, he is still on the r6. now, nothing was posted about those laps so i have no idea how fast we were going technically, but i know what that kid can run and i ran him down. so i feel confident in my head that i can burn 19's around that place. i know it doesnt mean anything without actually running them and having the paper to prove it, but its in my head and i "feel" it so that is good enough for me.. (for now at least)

ill be ordering what i need to fix the bike this week and ill be ready for the next summit event in early july!

riding this bike was a nightmare the way it was handling guys, but when the headshake was just about completely gone it really was fun. the 1k is great. you can get out of the turns hard. i even brought up a crossed up wheelie getting out of t3 while still leaned over.

it was also good to meet laohu's wife, and i was glad to read she had a good time too.

we left early yesterday cause i was pretty bummed out. it was a picture perfect day to be on the track and my bike wasnt able to do it. it was depressing to stick around there. but when i look at the positives it was still a good weekend. ideally, what i need to do is run some friday practices and use those as my test and tune days rather than the actual race day.

i didnt have this much trouble setting up the 600. i set it up once, and it was spot on for me. i never had to play with ride heights etc.. but we had a lot of info on those so it was easy. this was a whole new ball game. and it really was educational for me to have to do what i did. everyone always says run the bike one way and go to the extreme so you can feel what the changes do, and this weekend i got to do just that, and im that much smarter for it.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
to bad about the crash, but adam is absolutly right, my r6 was unridable the first time out at vir,w 14 clicks in on my damper(steering) the head shake was so bad i had to pump the brakes out of every turn.now w 3 clicks on the damper and no suspention changes the bike couldnt be more stable. i just calmed down and figured out what the bike likes. a:u r riding scared. give it time before trying to win. B: you arent running your race, your to worried about the "fast guys" and a "fast" lap time. C : crashing every weekend is not good for the confidence and will make you tighten up more.dude, just relax, its a new bike and you been out for a while. itll come to you if you stop trying so hard.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
and remember, unless thermosdude found "old" oil or something bad in those forks that would show that you got robbed. you did stuff that bike in the woods last time at summit. mabey that blew the seal. just be sure, so when we do tie the fork leg around his neck, weve done a good service.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, i can honestly say i know its not me trying to go too fast that made the bike handle the way it did. it really was a suspension issue. and when i bought the forks and installed them they felt wierd from day one. i couldnt get sag set on them with everything dialed all the way in. and they would bottom out from barely lofting the front wheel. believe me, i got ripped on the forks for sure.

i really am not trying too hard to go too fast, im certainly not scared either. it was very frustrating trying to open the throttle. seriously guys, id be going completely straight up and down, flat on the straight away, i would open the throttle all the way and the bike would wobble and shake back and forth so bad. arnie hastings came up to me after the race and asked how the hell was i riding that thing and that it was the most ill handling bike he has ever seen.

when i caught up to hector i was completely shocked. i wasnt trying hard at all. the bike started to feel somewhat ok (compared to what it was) and i was riding very comfortably. although ill admit, i saw him knowing how he runs and i said to myself i have to get him. i ran up on him going into ten and had to hold it a little wide there to maintain my speed and the forks had no more play in them and a couple small studder bumps and the front was gone. it didnt push and wash out.. i just felt a couple small bumps and bam! so a couple things learned.. i still need to work on the set up of the bike. but more so, to certainly not run off line in t10.. and not be greedy. it was only the second lap. if i caught him without pushing to begin with i still had 5 laps to get around him. again, it was an amature mistake and that chalks up to being out of it for a while. my senses will come back to me slowly. but the handling of the bike is definately not rider related. thermosman went over the bike thoroughly for me and helped out alot.

and my last get off was really pretty minor and it really didnt do much to the bike. and the forks didnt feel right from day one. i did send this kid an email giving him the benefit of the doubt to make good for what it cost me to get the forks fixed. so if he makes good ill be sure to let everyone know, and if he doesnt we will have to stop in tallahasee to visit mr. brooks at some point this season.

and thanks for the positive support guys it helps!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
2 weekends out, two crashes = trying too hard. if the suspension didnt feel right from day one, why keep pushing? you even said it was your ego that was a factor in both your crashes. im sure the bike needs suspension work ,but if you know this why take an out side line thru 10? your an expert , you need to think like one. get the bike set up right but also take it down a notch. glad to see you didnt get f' up. i have the stock cannon(pipe) mabey you can make it fit for now.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes, this is true. at the moments of my crashes i was trying too hard. although that isnt the reason for my suspension acting up, and my bike handling like crap. although the bike is getting closer. i should have kept it at the pace i was going and i would have been able to pass him anyway with 5 laps left to go. it does good for my confidence to know that i was catching him without even pushing it though..

and i may take you up on the pipe offer bro. i reached out for one of my sponsors already and im gonna see what he can do for me. but ill be in touch regardless.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
looks like you were doing good till the mishap
but good regarless as you havent been out in a while.
glad youre in one piece

1 - 20 of 59 Posts