Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first day back on the track this year. I did the TPM day to get the year dust off and to have some fun. I hooked up with a few other AM racers and we were going back and forth. It was fun. But
I have issues:
1. I brake way to early for T1 and T5. They would late brake me going in T1 so they would kill my drive and made a few hairy passes on the outside of t2 or I would be back on them at t3.

2. I have the same issue with t5. they late brake me going in to five and I would be back on them coimg out of 6 and passing them on the outside of 9.


How do I get over the fear of brakeing latter. My cornerspeed is better this year than in the past and my drive out of t10 was hit and miss. When I hit it I passed a few 1000 but by start finish they got me. Don't ask what times I was running cause I did not have a laptimer. It just got here a few hours ago. :crying
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
GSXR401 said:
Today was my first day back on the track this year. I did the TPM day to get the year dust off and to have some fun. I hooked up with a few other AM racers and we were going back and forth. It was fun. But
I have issues:
1. I brake way to early for T1 and T5. They would late brake me going in T1 so they would kill my drive and made a few hairy passes on the outside of t2 or I would be back on them at t3.

2. I have the same issue with t5. they late brake me going in to five and I would be back on them coimg out of 6 and passing them on the outside of 9.


How do I get over the fear of brakeing latter. My cornerspeed is better this year than in the past and my drive out of t10 was hit and miss. When I hit it I passed a few 1000 but by start finish they got me. Don't ask what times I was running cause I did not have a laptimer. It just got here a few hours ago. :crying
1. GROW A SET...:flipoff :lol Are you on the right line...? Take baby steps when trying a NEW brake marker... Lil steps will get you there... It just takes some getting use to the increased pucker factor...:D

2. GROW A SET...:flipoff :D Try a different entry point & take away their brakeing zone...:lol BMF is good @ this...:D Passing on the outside of T9... :wtf Not for me bro... Sorry...:scratch

I seriously think you expected too much your 1st time out...:nono It will come back to ya... Maybe you could go BUY A SET...:lol

How did Danny do...:scratch
 

·
Highly unstable
Joined
·
32,025 Posts
the key is to brake a little deeper each time around. dont go for huge gains or else youll get bit. when your braking for t1 just make sure your sitting all the way back in the seat and squeeze that lever for all its worth as late as you can, and make sure you are looking at your turn in point, and then the apex. dont target fixate on the gravel trap. i dont remember what i use as markers at the moment, but do baby steps as andy said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,361 Posts
GSXR401 said:
My cornerspeed is better this year than in the past and my drive out of t10 was hit and miss. When I hit it I passed a few 1000 but by start finish they got me.
t10 (and t3) are my favorites at Summit and where I try to do most of my passing. I seem to have an advantage there, at least over the other old slow group that I typically race with. I worked t10 this last Saturday (flagging) and I was paying attention to everyones lines / braking areas / exits. My line tended to be different from the guys that I race with and I found that it is the same line being used by the guys who were winning the races (at least the 750 & up EX). The turn in appeared to be at the end of pit out whereas the slower guys were turning in at the beginning of pit out. The faster guys were hitting an apex at the 2nd red hashmark frrom the end while the slower guys were apexing at the 4th white hash mark. The slower guys were basially upright and accelerating on the track before the end of the paint on the outside while the faster guys were using the end of the paint to finish off the corner and get back on the track (prefferably before the pavement ran out shortly after the end of the paint). I had a hard time determining thier braking points due to the angle I had to see. Thier entry line was also being compromised by a puddle on the outside of the track right at the turn in spot, at least that was where my line usually took me and most of the faster guys were taking it when the puddle was not present.
I usually aim directly for the bike I'm trying to pass at t10 and when he turns in I go another 20' before I turn, I apex much later, use the paint to finish off my corner and my pass is on the outside of the other bike. It appears that I am carrying at least 10 MPH more corner speed and, as the poster said, I can outrun a 1k almost to start / finish before thier HP catches me.
Does this line sound familiar to you faster guys or were the guys I was watching just an abberation who managed to win in spite of the line, or were they taking different lines than normal due to the rain / cold track? They took the same lines regardless of lapped traffic or a clear track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
I also tend to be a little too slow in turn 1 and I need to work on this also. I mean I need to work on every turn :) GSXR401 come out with me on the May Marrc track day you can follow me or pass me I am fat and slow.. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
Bmann29 said:
I also tend to be a little too slow in turn 1 and I need to work on this also. I mean I need to work on every turn :) GSXR401 come out with me on the May Marrc track day you can follow me or pass me I am fat and slow.. lol
Hopefully I'll be able to come out & play by then...:wait
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RADRB8 said:
1. GROW A SET...:flipoff :lol Are you on the right line...? Take baby steps when trying a NEW brake marker... Lil steps will get you there... It just takes some getting use to the increased pucker factor...:D

2. GROW A SET...:flipoff :D Try a different entry point & take away their brakeing zone...:lol BMF is good @ this...:D Passing on the outside of T9... :wtf Not for me bro... Sorry...:scratch

I seriously think you expected too much your 1st time out...:nono It will come back to ya... Maybe you could go BUY A SET...:lol

How did Danny do...:scratch

Grow a set??? :nono I need to buy a set. I did expect a lot from myself and still do. But I am happy. I only saw two big flaws that I need to work on and about 7 lil things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH.. danny was doing 22 on a stock 06 r6. All his parts are in now so his bike will be done tonight. I just got off the phone and hes almost done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
laohu69 said:
t10 (and t3) are my favorites at Summit and where I try to do most of my passing. I seem to have an advantage there, at least over the other old slow group that I typically race with. I worked t10 this last Saturday (flagging) and I was paying attention to everyones lines / braking areas / exits. My line tended to be different from the guys that I race with and I found that it is the same line being used by the guys who were winning the races (at least the 750 & up EX). The turn in appeared to be at the end of pit out whereas the slower guys were turning in at the beginning of pit out. The faster guys were hitting an apex at the 2nd red hashmark frrom the end while the slower guys were apexing at the 4th white hash mark. The slower guys were basially upright and accelerating on the track before the end of the paint on the outside while the faster guys were using the end of the paint to finish off the corner and get back on the track (prefferably before the pavement ran out shortly after the end of the paint). I had a hard time determining thier braking points due to the angle I had to see. Thier entry line was also being compromised by a puddle on the outside of the track right at the turn in spot, at least that was where my line usually took me and most of the faster guys were taking it when the puddle was not present.
I usually aim directly for the bike I'm trying to pass at t10 and when he turns in I go another 20' before I turn, I apex much later, use the paint to finish off my corner and my pass is on the outside of the other bike. It appears that I am carrying at least 10 MPH more corner speed and, as the poster said, I can outrun a 1k almost to start / finish before thier HP catches me.
Does this line sound familiar to you faster guys or were the guys I was watching just an abberation who managed to win in spite of the line, or were they taking different lines than normal due to the rain / cold track? They took the same lines regardless of lapped traffic or a clear track.
Thats sounds right. I use to work that turn also a few years ago. Terry was working at the tpm day. My problem is I don't brake for 10. I blip, down shift and thown that mother in. I was getting held up so I lost track of what gear i needed to be in vs the gear I wanted to be in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bmann29 said:
I also tend to be a little too slow in turn 1 and I need to work on this also. I mean I need to work on every turn :) GSXR401 come out with me on the May Marrc track day you can follow me or pass me I am fat and slow.. lol

BMAN was up? Is your bike done now? :punk I need to go get mine set up now. Are you talking about the may 3rd date? I took off the 5th to do the NESBA day. Where are you guys setting up at for the 6th and 7th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
T1 at Summit is hard because you really can't see thru that turn until the 3rd brake marker. The key for me is to stay on the gas FULL until the first brake marker...then brake for dear life shift down to 2nd steady the rear and ive it gas into the turn
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
bmfgsxr
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top