Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time gsxr rider and first time track rider. I recently sold my k7 750 and am looking to get a track only bike. I would prefer to have an 06 and up gsxr 600 but wanted to ask your opinion on what the best year for a 600 would be for this purpose and why.

·
I move away from the mic
6,548 Posts
My take on it, get a bike you can afford no matter the year, you want to have fun on a budget at first, you don't know how many track days you will end up doing, if any. Don't forget leathers/gloves/boots/trailer/newer helmet. Leave it as is until you become better/faster and frequent track days.

I would start "small" and accumulate track time before getting into it too much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm also a new track rider with an 05 GSXR 600.

If I could go back, I would spend a little extra and get the 06+ with the slipper clutch. Not that riding without a slipper is impossible (obviously), but it helps take that off your mind and allows you to focus more on hitting your braking marks, getting turned in, getting into the right gear, seeing the proper line, and everything else that goes into taking a corner correctly without worrying about locking up the rear and unsettling everything.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Get the newest bike you can afford. Easier to find and get parts and will give you the longest service live. You could get an 06/07 for 2500, or a 13-14 for 3500. If you can afford the extra $1000, do it. As for what year is the best, as a long time member of the forums, I think the L0-L1 are pretty good platforms. You hardly ever see threads about common issues. The 06/07 had charging system problems, and the 04-05 are wider in the crotch area.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Any of the bikes from K6+ are great track bikes. The L1+ received some updates, but they are a but more expensive than the K6-K9 bikes

·
Registered
181 Posts
Use other peoples bikes first, get your gear so you walk away the way you showed up, do a Suzuki school like schwantz or Keith code to get good habits, ride cheep because track days suck you dry. The 600 is awesome on the track, from 01 up. I tracked a 600, 750, and 1000, believe it or not the 600 kept me smiling because it always felt like a friend on the track, the 03 I used at schwantz school at road Atlanta, that was the HITTTT ! Oh read twist of the wrist, that's just good stuff, or watch the video ....be a student 👨*🎓 you'll live longer and faster🏍

·
13,375 Posts
I dunno about that. I looked into the Schwantz school when it was here in Indy during the MotoGP week. Read the fine print on using their bike. YOU put down a pretty big deposit and then YOU are liable for the damage if you crash. That can add up really fast.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I find it hard to get enough practice time with a track-only bike particularly when you are new to the track.

Body position, learning to look through corners, keeping loose on the bars, learning to make fine steering corrections as you hunt for the apex and weighting the pegs into and through the corner all takes practice. LOTS of practice.

I've got an L1 750 this year and with a few simple suspension/geometry changes and some supercorsa tires, I absolutely love it. I've been out almost every day practicing and even taking notes. Completed two trackdays with this bike so far.

I would be scared sh!tless of the bike if I could only ride once or twice a month considering how hard we ride on track.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got into track days last year after having to retire from mx due to a pretty bad injury

I bought an old K1 750, no slipper and needing some loving but having already fitted ti headers, k5 forks and shock etc

It done me proud all year and ran a great pace for what it was

I changed after a season to a K6 750 and found it lighter and faster but no more 'fun' than my K1. I see you put 600 but I found the 750 was still relatively quick even against modern 600s

A few videos of it on circuit here

Suzuki GSXR 750 K1 2001: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdhRDjIHo2sJFzkcugnU9_yRoY7snYJee

It's the one on the right which I sold to a mate and told him to change the number as I've always ran #41 so my newer one is on the left

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
13,375 Posts
Break your credit card out and get a full set of track plastics and throw all the stock bodywork/lights on eBay. 09 is still new enough people are looking for parts. You should be able to recoup the money for the bodywork plus a little cash for some upgrades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
TheGeek
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing