Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been on the forum a while, this is my first post. I bought a used K6 600 with about 5000 miles. Everything has been great, but the other day at a light I noticed a slight burning smell. Kind of smelled like an emergency brake had been left on. Took it to the dealer and they said they would need it for a few days and not to worry, its probably something simple. Got home today and started sniffing around the bike, it smells like it is coming from the chain/front sprocket area. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sometimes I get that when I ride hard. There's all kinds of chain goo gunk around the front sprocket and it starts to smell funny when it gets really hot I think. Well, at least that's my experience. After a dyno tune it was actually dripping a bit there was so much in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Suggestions??

yeah, when I looked at the chain last night, it seemed pretty dirty, a good amount of dirty grease came off. I' guess I'l try cleaning it and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Take off the cover and clean your front sprocket and area around it. Use kerosene in a spray bottle to clean it and your chain. Try to clean your chain about every 1K miles or so to avoid this problem in the future..:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
thats nice to know cause the first thing that came to my mind was the clutch :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Kerosene in a hairspray bottle and a toothbrush... when you lube the chain spray down from top to bottom on the lower half.. centrifugal force will force the lube further into the chain, instead of off it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice, I thought it was the clutch at first too. I'll try cleaning the chain and see what happens. One thing about the kerosene though, someone at work here told me that the kerosene will ruin the O rings, but, the manual said to use it and so did all you, so thats what I'll try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.