Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for one of these to commute to work and just wanted to know what you guys think would be the suggested value range for these bikes with mileage in the range of 0 to 25,000. Year model doesnt matter too much since its a starter bike but I'd like to have low miles since ill be putting on much more than what the previous owner has done.

My budget is pretty much close to 5k but i can do more if needed. One other important question I need to ask is how many miles will a bike like this last given that it has been taken really good care of?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Check Craigslist in your area. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one for $4500. I've seen 1st gen going for $2000. I prefer 2nd gen because I like fuel injection. Probably $3000 on up.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
5K is more than enough. Friend of mine bought an '04 with 10K miles on it and in good condition for $3K a couple of years ago.

As for longevity - I have a '99 with about 75K miles on it that still runs great. It's all about maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely have enough left over to buy the gear I really want. I checked out dealers here in Houston but they didn't seem to have any SVs. I'll probably need to check out craigslist. I'm a bit weary of looking there but if that's where they are I'll check it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found something pretty interesting doing a bit of comparison analysis on the sales price and mileage information you guys provided. Given that the SV650 hypothetically has a useful life of 50,000 miles, I took the remaining useful life and divided it by the purchase price to get the $/mile value. Turns out that 3 out of 4 sales were purchased at a price of $0.08 per remaining useful mile. The 2002 SV650 had a purchase price of $0.05/mile which may seem reasonable due to the number of miles it had. A bit overboard on the analysis maybe but I like to have a good indicator of what I should pay. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
29,637 Posts
I found something pretty interesting doing a bit of comparison analysis on the sales price and mileage information you guys provided. Given that the SV650 hypothetically has a useful life of 50,000 miles, I took the remaining useful life and divided it by the purchase price to get the $/mile value. Turns out that 3 out of 4 sales were purchased at a price of $0.08 per remaining useful mile. The 2002 SV650 had a purchase price of $0.05/mile which may seem reasonable due to the number of miles it had. A bit overboard on the analysis maybe but I like to have a good indicator of what I should pay. Thanks guys.

If a VTwin Suzuki is well cared for, I've seem em with over 100k miles.

·
Banned
29,637 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.