Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear shock with the remote reservoir, it's filled with oil right? The reason I ask is because I think my rear shock is going out and the OEM service manual doesn't say anything about filling the rear. It has the little nipple on the reservoir that looks like a tire valve stem. Anyone know how I can check it to see if it's bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Its filled with oil and nitrogen. The nitrogen is on the "valve stem" side of the resevoir. All the oil is on the other side and in the shock. If its shot you need to have it and the shock taken apart, cleaned, filled with new oil and recharged with approx 200psi of nitro.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The shock has oil in it but that fitting is for nitrogen, the shock is pressurized to 150psi or so to help reduce frothing of the oil. Don't try to check the pressure as you'll loose a lot of pressure in the process. If the shock isn't leaking oil and is responding to adjustments there really isn't anything to check on them. An oil change and nitrogen recharge is a good way to freshen up an old shock and while it isn't too tough to do you do need to know what you're doing. Search the archives for info on modifying or rebuilding the stock shock, basically it can be done and will be a little cheaper than aftermarket usually.

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...it's not responding to any adjustments at all. Maybe I will get the my local shop downtown to see if they can recharge it for me. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you get it re-charged, make sure that they replace the schraeder-valve ...mine had a leaky one in it and the guy who re-charged it for me told me that the OEM ones are prone to failure. Besides, even the high-pressure refrigeration-type valves only cost a few dollars. I got my valve replaced and shock re-charged for like $15 and it's not an ohlins, but it sure works a lot better than it did before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was on a Bell JetRanger course many years back. Not being familar with the machine I said that same remark...this may be a stupid question...

The instructor replied "there is no such thing as a stupid question; only stupid people."

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do they still have that bike shop at the base of the hill that goes up to camp Fatima? If so you may take it there(??)
I remember a few shops down in Naha that may be able to help, but it has been a while.
Where you at?

[ 12-17-2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Tornado-rider ]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed Stec's Bike shop and they quoted me $300! As for Mr. Gixxer, I know it's a good deal, but I was looking for a cheaper solution. Especially with x-mas and all. Ya smellin' what I'm steppin' in?

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you can find a car shop that fixes air conditioning the might have a nitrogen bottle for purging the air conditioning before refilling with refrigerant. My local goodyear tire store does mine just put an ordinary tire chuck on the pressure line set the regulator to 180PSI and hit the valve and its done. You can use compressed air but most compressors will not go that high but a scuba tank with a reg adapted would work. The air is 80% nitrogen and there is a bladder seperating the oil from air or nitrogen so mixxing is not a problem and the heating of the 20%oxygen would only be noticed by an all out racer on the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts