Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer to this already but I'm looking for independent verification from the geniuses on this board (hmm, no ::SUCKING UP:: emoticon...)

I am changing the sprockets and chain and the ratio used to be 13:47, but the new front is a 14. If I'm not mistaken, that means less snap off the line, but greater top end.

Is it 2 points for me or a dunce cap?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
If your a Car guy it may be easier to think of it like an axle ratio just divide:
13 into 47 = 3.61
14 into 47 = 3.35
The lower the number the slower the take off but the faster you go overall. High numbers mean faster take off but lower top speed at the same RPM. You can get the same Final drive ratio with different sprocket combos:
lets say you had a real nice Chrome rim that you wanted everyone to see so you did not want to hide it behind a 50 tooth sprocket?
Well:
14 into 50 = 3.57
13 into 47 = 3.61 and you get a smaller sprocket that covers up lees of that shiney wheel.
I have a R6 in the garage now that the guy just picked up a 15 x 50 set for.
15 into 50 = 3.33 and is going cover half the rim and be hell to keep clean around after I spent all that time to polish his wheels. If he would have gone with a 13 x 43 he would have got the same performance with a 2" smaller rear sprocket and shaved a couple of oz as well (Hey it all counts!)
Bones

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks - got a little time on your hands way up there in Anchorage, Bones???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by jeff:
things like rear tire diameter also have an effect on gearing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Aha, so when I fit a set of 17" wheels on this bad boy, what will I have to do to the gearing to keep it snappy - go down 1 or 2 teeth on the rear?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
one down at the front is always a good idea...............the cheapest performance available. Mine still shows 160 with a tooth down and who uses all that speed anyway ??

The only down side is a little less mpg and of course, big wheelies !!

Andy

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by WebWarlock:
Aha, so when I fit a set of 17" wheels on this bad boy, what will I have to do to the gearing to keep it snappy - go down 1 or 2 teeth on the rear?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it really depends on how tall the new tire is with respect to the previous one.....in all likelihood, the 17" wheel and tire will be shorter, which lowers overall gearing. so just the wheel and tire swap itself would make acceleration snappier......

[ 04-12-2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
taller gearing will only give you more top end (as in, top speed) if your bike makes enough power to overcome aerodynamic drag at those speeds.

i.e. you can gear your bike for a theoretical 300mph at redline, but there's no way in hell you'll ever reach that unless you're packing an ungodly amount of horsepower and/or have very substantially reduced aerodynamic drag.

14/46 is stock for an 86 1100, so 14/47 would be slightly shorter gearing than stock. most stock bikes tend to be geared a bit on the tall side. things like rear tire diameter also have an effect on gearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts