Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 600 with 20,000 miles. He changed the spark plugs, oil, new battery, air filter and wanted to change the fuel pump. Because the fuel pump was so expensive he only had the small fuel screener changed. The old one was completely completely filthy.

Ok here's the problem; the bike starts but when he's giving it throttle and in higher RPM, the bike seems to not retain power. It's almost as if it's losing power.

Any thoughts on what might be happening.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Fuel flow test, In Workshop Manual. You can try cleaning out the main fuel filter with carby cleaner spray. You can't disassemble it but you can back flush it. Here
The fuel regulator and O ring should come out and the filter will come off the Pump.
Try flushing it all. (y)

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,751 Posts
+1 on the flow test. But if the strainer was crapped up, the main filter is highly likely to be too. People here have back flushed the filter with varying success (search). If you see a bunch of crappy looking gas come out, that's probably the problem. If it does work, it will probably only be for a short while. You probably don't need an entire new pump but the main filter will be dear enough.

P.S. Can't say I endorse it but I picked this up somewhere here about a year ago:

It was for a K5 750.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Craig and Bill.

He's trying to avoid buying a new fuel pump because they're pretty expensive (OEM) - somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. There are cheaper AM ones on Amazon (for like $70) but I wouldn't recommend those. As they say, you get what you paid for. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll send off these two suggestions over to him.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,751 Posts
I failed to mention it but there are threads here about drilling a hole through the element of the clogged filter and installing a cheap automotive filter between the pump outlet and the fuel rail. See this, for example. Again I'm not endorsing it.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I failed to mention it but there are threads here about drilling a hole through the element of the clogged filter and installing a cheap automotive filter between the pump outlet and the fuel rail. See this, for example. Again I'm not endorsing it.
got it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure the O-rings are not hard or ripped (two of them), I bought replacements for cheap at AutoZone. The fuel pump can be bench tested.

I would not worry about buying the factory fuel pump. I replaced my fuel pump last year with one for Alliexpress for $20, came in a nice box and had a name attached to it. The factory pump was made by Mitsubishi.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the O-rings are not hard or ripped (two of them), I bought replacements for cheap at AutoZone. The fuel pump can be bench tested.

I would not worry about buying the factory fuel pump. I replaced my fuel pump last year with one for Alliexpress for $20, came in a nice box and had a name attached to it. The factory pump was made by Mitsubishi.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
Suzuki GSX-R750 2022
32 Posts
Thanks a lot Craig and Bill.

He's trying to avoid buying a new fuel pump because they're pretty expensive (OEM) - somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. There are cheaper AM ones on Amazon (for like $70) but I wouldn't recommend those. As they say, you get what you paid for. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll send off these two suggestions over to him.
hey mate.
I had the same experience. I bought a GSXR600 2001. Did plugs, oil and filter air filter. Replaced all the fuel lines and fuel filter. The bike never revved out properly, started bogging down and losing power past 9,000 rpm, especially at full throttle. Took the tank of and cleaned it, took the fuel pump off... it was clogged and dirty. I did some research and discoved a new/ reconditioned fuel pump was $800+.
On advice from my bike mechanic at the local shop, i put a kit through it, which only cost $125. I replaced the pump part and bottom tea bag filter. While the fuel pump was apart, i half filled a bucket with petrol and unblocked it by shaking it submerged in fuel and pouring out the dirty bits (opposite to flow direction) until it was clean. Reassemble and it ran great. Revved out all the way.
Picture below of the kit i used, i did not use all the parts.
White Light Product Font Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey mate.
I had the same experience. I bought a GSXR600 2001. Did plugs, oil and filter air filter. Replaced all the fuel lines and fuel filter. The bike never revved out properly, started bogging down and losing power past 9,000 rpm, especially at full throttle. Took the tank of and cleaned it, took the fuel pump off... it was clogged and dirty. I did some research and discoved a new/ reconditioned fuel pump was $800+.
On advice from my bike mechanic at the local shop, i put a kit through it, which only cost $125. I replaced the pump part and bottom tea bag filter. While the fuel pump was apart, i half filled a bucket with petrol and unblocked it by shaking it submerged in fuel and pouring out the dirty bits (opposite to flow direction) until it was clean. Reassemble and it ran great. Revved out all the way.
Picture below of the kit i used, i did not use all the parts. View attachment 583796 View attachment 583797
Wow good to know. Thanks for the info and I'll relay the info to my friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts