Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GSXR750
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have said it happens intermittently, but on my commute today it stuck EVERY time switching between 2nd and 3rd when over 8k+ rpm. Lower rpm and I think it shifts fine. More to investigate. I'm totally off the throttle, oil is fresh last month, chain tension is in spec (if that matters), nothing looks bent down there.

Bit of a noob, but open to wrenching on it and learning. What should I be checking to resolve this issue in order of least expensive?

The bike has 20,000 km on it. Should the clutch plates be replaced at that kilometerage? Rides lovely other than this rather significant problem.

·
Registered
2007 GSXR750
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I think it's official, just went out during my lunch break and the gears are officially slipping. it's not pulling like it used to (even this morning) - engine sounds like its working, the rpms go up, but barely pulls. Shifted into 3rd this time, though lol. I don't know how the clutch plates works, but seems like they finally 'gave' in between my original post and this one. Hopefully not a huge fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well... I think it's official, just went out during my lunch break and the gears are officially slipping. it's not pulling like it used to (even this morning) - engine sounds like its working, the rpms go up, but barely pulls. Shifted into 3rd this time, though lol. I don't know how the clutch plates works, but seems like they finally 'gave' in between my original post and this one. Hopefully not a huge fix.
Check your clutch plates, that could be the issue.

·
Registered
2007 GSXR750
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try adjusting the clutch?
You think it could be fixed with an adjustment? I figured if it’s not grabbing when rpms increase it’s toast. I bit the bullet on the clutch set and thought I’d install myself to save money. Looks pretty simple. Got a full OEM set off eBay for $200 CAD. Local dealership is still going to get back to me with a quote but assuming labour plus parts would be in the $500+ range.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,784 Posts
Replacing the clutch is not a tough job. Just have some details you need to follow. And, yes, people screw up the clutch adjustment regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts