Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, one or more pistons don’t want to retract in my front calipers. Does anyone have any tips to free them up before I try to tear them down for a rebuild?
Update.
I disassembled and cleaned up both calipers. In the process of bleeding. It looked like someone may have mixed DOT 5 in with the DOT 4.

· Registered
12 Posts
Update, it’s solved. A/M master and lever are “close enough” as far as build tolerance. Pulled the lever off this morning, was holding about 1/16” preload on the piston. Gonna shave the back stop down and try again. May have been half our issue purging air too. We appreciate the ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Update, it’s solved. A/M master and lever are “close enough” as far as build tolerance. Pulled the lever off this morning, was holding about 1/16” preload on the piston. Gonna shave the back stop down and try again. May have been half our issue purging air too. We appreciate the ideas

· Premium Member
1,514 Posts

Can you tell us more of what you have done ? Your post seams to start in the middle of a project.

· Registered
12 Posts
Can you tell us more of what you have done ? Your post seams to start in the middle of a project.
Son bought a project bike, needed a front master cylinder. Bought an eBay special, new pads. After getting it all together front brakes were hanging up intermittently. Stripped and refurbished calipers, had difficulties getting the air out, still intermittently sticking. I figured out the eBay master was less than proper. I shaved the lever stop pad so it could release further, it was keeping pressure on the master cylinder plunger causing the intermittent dragging. Have put some miles on it now, seems to be working well now.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,291 Posts
The Chinese levers had a habit of seeming to work OK until they locked up the front wheel and caused the bike to crash. Recommend you replace it with an OEM lever or one from a known supplier.

· Registered
12 Posts
The Chinese levers had a habit of seeming to work OK until they locked up the front wheel and caused the bike to crash. Recommend you replace it with an OEM lever or one from a known supplier.
It’s an easy task to modify the junk levers to not try and kill you, you just don’t know they’re not right unless you look at the assembly once it’s all together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.