Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil recently, and it seems the people who stole my bike also stripped the BLOCK on the oil drain plug. The threads on the plug look fine, but feeling up in the hole feels very smooth. Can I retap the oil drain hole, and if so, how?

·
Registered
915 Posts
ebay, new oil pan, i did the same thing on my old 750, $20 fix

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
2 dollar oil plug from an auto parts store. Get whats called an oversizer plug, it cuts new threaading and only takes 5 min to do if you follow directions carefully and fully clean it after youve cut the threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the same thing to my old SRAD. You have a couple of options. Get whats called a "1 up" bolt. Similar to mentioned above, it cuts new threads as you put it in.

Get a tap and die set, though it's difficult to find em that big (was for me anyway)

Get a new pan. Thats what I did. You know the whole thing has a good seal if you get a new pan too, so you're not gonna be thinkin about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel better now, I know I'm not the only person to strip an oil pan...
No offence to any one, I just felt like a dumbass at the time, That is soft aluminum, as I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost forgot I posted this thread. Thanks guys for all the responses.

My big question is why would they reverse thread this ONE bolt on this bike!? Righty loosey, lefty tighty doesn't sound right!

·
Registered
12 Posts
quick question: what is the proper amount of torque for the plug? I just went into the garage (had a tune up a few weeks ago) and noticed a drip, very slight, but coming from the plug. I torqued it down a little bit and am monitoring it but want to make sure it's not over-done.

Also does anyone have a link to an online version of a service manual? I have one for my yamaha and it's bailed me out more times than I can imagine.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am rebuilding a 86 1100 motor and have the motor out. That oil pan plug thread was messed up. . I bought a new pan. Thats a a plug you will be loosening and tightening all the time for oil changes. Make sure you invest a couple bucks also for the new plug. It's worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts