Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I freakin stripped the oil drain bolt on my gixxer. Does anyone know if I can just re-tap the oil pan? and if so, do you know the bolt size and pitch thread??? Or should I just spend the bucks and get new oil pan installed? yeah yeah I know im a squid. But I spent the bucks and got a torque wrench and wont do it again.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
retapping can lead to getting metal shavings in your pan.

I'd have to reccomend fiing it right and getting a new pan. You may get lucky and find that the older pans fit your bike, but I have no info on that.

You don't need a torque wrench for an oil pan bolt...you just have to keep in mind that Tupperware is water tight...and it takes very little to make a seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually only a couple of threads came out. It still tightens fairly good and snug. Should I even bother with it then?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Yes bother with it ! How would you like to be hauling ass and the damn thing come out and crash your ASS ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that thought came to mind a few times. Guess I'll drop it off Monday and get new pan installed. I'm scheduled to get alarm and lojack installed Wed that I already paid for...guess I'll reschedule that....not sure how long it will take to them to replace pan. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Take the plug out and take it to auto zone they have special plugs to fix this. My freind just did the same thing yesterday. I think it is a little bigger and has a sharp thread that cuts a new path.

·
Banned
246 Posts
advance auto parts has a helicoil kit for repairing parkplug threads (same size as the oil plug).. The kit is about $35 and you dont need to drill it. you just start threading it in and it gradually opens up the hole and makes it a larger thread. it takes 5 minutes and you cannot fuck it up. I was so freaked out when I stripped the threads on my bike and I was really relieved when I did this so easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts