Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn it! I was draining the oil on my 86 750 the other day. I was putting the plug back in with a new crush washer. Well the damn thing just kept on turning
I pulled the plug back out and there were (what was left of) the threads on the drain plug.I am sure that this was something that started happening long before I owned the bike. Oh well, I doesn't matter who did it, it's done so now I have to fix it.I have to pull the fairing, exhaust & the oil pan to heli coil it. What a pain in the a**!
So the moral of the story is....be carefull when pulling & replacing oil drain plug

·
Registered
978 Posts
omg what were you using to put it back in 1/2 breaker bar
sounds like you know how to fix it thoe next time don't be heman
jimmy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive justed brocken a bolt on the rocker/valve cover (Oil delivery)and I was using a torque wrench.
All done by the setings in the factory manual.

The bolt must have been fractured by the previous owner.

$17 Aus and a weeks wait to have another. [email protected]#$$.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Wolf1100L:
Is it possible to take off the oil pan without taking the engine out of the frame?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe so. Lets say "I HOPE SO"

It wasn't that I over torqued the bolt, the threads were just NOT there to tighten. I'm sure this was due to "over tightning" in the past.

And yes, I HATE it when something so simple (like a oil change) turns into a major project! But I'm no stranger to this kind of shit!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I have a oil pan for sale $20 off 88-92 are they the same,just snug it up,I tried using a torq wrench on the oil pan once,and it felt like it was going to strip it out,way before recomended torq..never again will I Do that,just snug..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
God, Don't you hate it when something as annoying as the happens
. That does remind me to take care with mine next time though.

Andy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by OneWheelRider:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Wolf1100L:
Is it possible to take off the oil pan without taking the engine out of the frame?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe so. Lets say "I HOPE SO"
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes it is. you'll need to remove your header and a rear stand would help stabilize the bike while your crawl under.

Don't forget to put a new gasket on it and new crush washers for the oil lines that attach to the pan.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:

Is it possible to take off the oil pan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes it is. you'll need to remove your header and a rear stand would help stabilize the bike while your crawl under.

Don't forget to put a new gasket on it and new crush washers for the oil lines that attach to the pan.[/QB][/QUOTE]Thanks Simon

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by e-racer:
[QB]I have a oil pan for sale $20 off 88-92 are they the same,just snug it up,I tried using a torq wrench on the oil pan once,and it felt like it was going to strip it out,way before recomended torq..never again will I Do that,just snug..
I'm going to heli coil it, but I will surely keep you in mind IF I have any problems with the heli coil. Thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I took mine off last year in the frame after removing the exhaust, an easy job and you can clean the pick up while you are there....

be carefiul tightening those sump bolts up afterwards though..........

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts