Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2012 Gsxr 1000 that is experiencing some strange charging issues. I had run it last season no issues, but replaced the fairings over the winter. Here’s what’s happening.

After a little bit of riding, the headlight goes completely out. At the same time, when I go to use a turn signal, the entire dash flashes the same way it does when the ignition is initially turned on. The turn signals don’t work at this point in the front, and blink like hazards. Back turn signals still work.

as soon as I plugged the battery into the trickle charger, the lights resumed working correctly. I initially thought this was a battery issue, so I replaced it, but had the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Straight away this would look like a wiring / connection issue. When you replaced the fairings, were any wiring plugs disconnected / reconnected ? Good idea to spray any / all plugs with electrical cleaner/lube.
So now the hard part Using the Workshop Manual study every circuit and ID every wire on your bike.
The manual will lead you through all testing. Good Luck and let us know how you went.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
usually the clocks sweeping and going dead along with lights failing is a charging issue, or a bad battery issue.. time to check charging system and battery/connections

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Straight away this would look like a wiring / connection issue. When you replaced the fairings, were any wiring plugs disconnected / reconnected ? Good idea to spray any / all plugs with electrical cleaner/lube.
So now the hard part Using the Workshop Manual study every circuit and ID every wire on your bike.
The manual will lead you through all testing. Good Luck and let us know how you went.
normally I would agree, but because everything works as designed when I plug the battery in, i would think it points to a charging system problem. my immediate thought is rectifier/regulator,but I’ll need to grab a voltmeter to check. I didn’t unplug any connectors when replacing the fairings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts