Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If starting off from a stop or a really slow speed >15mph i get a strange clunk from the front as i start out. It only does it at really low speed while im starting out. Im not punching it either maybe like 10% throttle. While going through neighborhoods ect. It almost sounds like when you put it in first from neutral from a stop.

I checked my chain its good, my sprockets are good.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Maybe front wheel bearings? The only time I have heard a "clunk" was when my rear wheel bearings went out but obviously from the rear.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,124 Posts
How loud of a clunk are we talking about? Do you feel any vibration through the bars, or anything shifting in the front end, while it clunks?

You could try checking your head bearing preload and going through the bolts of the front end, mostly the triple trees, but in my experience, the front end will still clunk from time to time, even with everything tightened properly, especially when taking off, or braking slowly, similarly to what you describe. I'm not sure where it's coming from, or if it's supposed to do that, but I hasn't caused noticeable problems either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First, stop riding it.

Then get a mechanic to check the cush drive, wheel bearings, head bearings, brakes etc.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Cush drive, front bearing, rear bearings, head bearings, front sprocket are all things to check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How loud of a clunk are we talking about? Do you feel any vibration through the bars, or anything shifting in the front end, while it clunks?

You could try checking your head bearing preload and going through the bolts of the front end, mostly the triple trees, but in my experience, the front end will still clunk from time to time, even with everything tightened properly, especially when taking off, or braking slowly, similarly to what you describe. I'm not sure where it's coming from, or if it's supposed to do that, but I hasn't caused noticeable problems either.

I feel it in my left peg. Its almost like the feeling going in to first from neutral. It doesnt always do it just once in a while. The clunk isnt that loud.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
It doesnt always do it just once in a while. The clunk isnt that loud.
There it is... his reasoning for not listening again. $5 says he keeps riding without getting it checked :thumbup

... and god, what a sigline :facepalm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There it is... his reasoning for not listening again. $5 says he keeps riding without getting it checked :thumbup

... and god, what a sigline :facepalm
Sorry to disappoint you, but you owe me $5, i have steering head bearing kit coming to me will be here in a couple days. Not stupid enough to ride with something like this happening.
BTW it wasn't the chain slack. But hey way to assume.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you said you checked your chain, but these symptoms do sound awfully like a slack chain tightening with a shock on initial throttle application.
Had a couple shocks look at it. Say its the steering bearing. The chain slap is a diffrenet sound. My chain is within suzuki spec of slack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If starting off from a stop or a really slow speed >15mph i get a strange clunk from the front as i start out. It only does it at really low speed while im starting out. Im not punching it either maybe like 10% throttle. While going through neighborhoods ect. It almost sounds like when you put it in first from neutral from a stop.

I checked my chain its good, my sprockets are good.
I know this was a while ago but I had this problem and found that it was mt brake front calipers. it also got worse as the pads wore down. No good to you now though I would think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts