Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone PLEASE explain what's the sole purpose of the STPS (secondary throttle position sensor) on an 06 gsxr 600? I'm trying to also figure our what symptoms would be present if the stps is bad?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,418 Posts
The STPS tells the ECM the position of the secondary throttle valves. A bad STPS would do one of two things. First, the ECM can detect most conditions and will trigger an FI warning with code C29. A rare condition that it can't detect will cause a C28 code for the STVA. Paired with this, the STVA will open half way and then close at a slow speed, and then chatter against the closed stop.

Need to test yours? Here: http://www.stva-repair.com/uploads/stpsk6k7.docx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, so I checked the STPS and it's out of spec. Here's the readings ...

1.06ohms with the secondary throttle plates fully closed

4.96ohms with the secondary throttle plates fully open

In the manual it states they should read 0.5ohms fully closed and 3.9ohms fully open

When I adjust the stps by hand conter-clockwise to the furthest point, it reads...

1.18ohms fully closed and 4.92ohms fully open. (Weird) I cant even move the stps far enough to get to 0.5 ohms but when I move the stps clockwise to the furthest point it reads..0.46ohms with the plates closed and 4.39ohms with the plates opened.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm thinking the throttle bodies need to be synced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
You're missing a "k". The correct values are 500 Ω and 3900 Ω.

I'm not familiar with the details of your bike but the fast idle system may be preventing you from reaching 500 ohms. Check the left side of the throttle body, specifically a cam on the throttle shaft and associated linkage. You may have to disable it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts