Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Re: Stop sale & Delivery new/used GSXR's brake MC recall

you are a colossal idiot.

"we'll wait and see if the M/C recall fixes my issue." it will. but it is not the MC fixing your issue. it is the fresh fluid. even after that long paragraph of yours, i still don't see the term torque wrench.

Yup

Your issue is your old ass fluid. The recall mc will replace it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Well, back from Suzi. Did a nice long ride with the replacement MC. Brakes are firm and fine, despite the old lines. You guys can keep talking about old fluid but, it's pretty unlikely anything there would result in the complete loss of braking performance. There is no doubt really old, cooked fluid could indeed mean soft lever, longer stopping distances but, never a complete loss of braking unless it all leaked out or there was one hell of an instantaneous introduction of air to the system, due to catastrophic failure, none of which happened here. There were no leaks. The lines are fine. The pads are fine. Everything peripheral inspects out as perfectly fine.

Maintenance schedules are a guideline for intelligent thought. It isn't a freaking biblical text. The manufacturer recommends intervals based upon what it thinks average use may be. My bike, with 21,000 kilometers on it, is hardly average for use in 7 years.

I'm satisfied I had an extreme case of the gas buildup from the poor surface treatment in the oem MC. Just because there isn't a report you've heard of a related event this extreme happening, does not mean the cause can't be attributed to where the manufacturer says the problem is. It's the only reasonable explanation for that event.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts

so it looks like you went out to lunch and haven't come back yet...

·
Registered
7 Posts

I've just bought a new radial front brake mastercylinder off ebay for my bike, and found out after about the GSXR mastercylinder recall on pretty much all GSXR's 04-2014.

I don't have a GSXR (or not a full one ) It's a GSXR based SV650.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the recall? Is it a real issue/how can you check the mastercylinder piston is corroding? Is it worth fitting a rebuild kit? Is the corrosion of the piston visible if I were to stripthe mastercylinder?

Or on the other hand; will suzuki replace one if you don't own a whole GSXR just the faulty part?

Any help, muchos appreciated!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts

You need a qualifying gsxr vin.

I have a pre recall gsxr mc on my sv.

Works great. Bleed per my how to thread in mods and how to section and you'll be fine. Keep the fluid fresh.

·
Registered
7 Posts

You need a qualifying gsxr vin.

I have a pre recall gsxr mc on my sv.

Works great. Bleed per my how to thread in mods and how to section and you'll be fine. Keep the fluid fresh.
That's reassuring - cheers Joe. (I take it by pre-recall you mean one that was never exchanged under warranty don't you? Not off a bike earlier than the affected models)

Have you 4 pots on your sv also?

(sorry to go a bit off topic)

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts

Fitted the k8 radial masteryclinder, I certainly have more braking power to the lever (or atleast on initial bite) but the levers fairly spongey and the brakes feel a little numb further down the travel - Didn't know if I just wasn't used to the radial mastercylinder feel?
I'm going to try and bleed using your method. The method I used was syringe from the bleeders on the caliper running a through pot through each line and caliper.

The other thing is there seems to be a lot of initial travel on the lever before it even hits the mastercylinder rod, it flops around activating the brake light in the wind. I had to shim up the lever to get any braking power and remove the brake light issue.
Are they supposed to have a spacer or 'top hat' that was missing from my ebay purchase?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts

That's reassuring - cheers Joe. (I take it by pre-recall you mean one that was never exchanged under warranty don't you? Not off a bike earlier than the affected models)

Have you 4 pots on your sv also?

(sorry to go a bit off topic)

cheers

Yea. Stock off my 06 600

I have oem calipers.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts

It likely is a bleed issue with a lot of take up. I'd have to see yours to know if something is missing.

Give my method a try. You'll likely be shocked :D

·
Registered
3 Posts

So a friend of mine with a K6 GSX-R600 has a 750 engine swap. He wants to replace the master cylinder because of the recall but the dealership doesn't want to mess with it because of the 750 motor in it. What does that have to do with the MC? Anyone else heard of this? Is there a liability issue of why they won't touch it? It sounds ridiculous to me. :\

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts

It is ridiculous. The engine is completely unrelated to the braking system.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

So a friend of mine with a K6 GSX-R600 has a 750 engine swap. He wants to replace the master cylinder because of the recall but the dealership doesn't want to mess with it because of the 750 motor in it. What does that have to do with the MC? Anyone else heard of this? Is there a liability issue of why they won't touch it? It sounds ridiculous to me. :\
Did they check the block,or your buddy screw himself? Loose lips can sink ships. Shouldn't matter though. Go to the next dealership....

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,565 Posts

I changed the MC on my K6 1000 in mid 2010, well before the recall was announced. The parts included a Brembo RCS 19, Galfer GP lines, ATF blue brake fluid, and other parts needed to adapt things. I have receipts for almost everything totaling nearly $500, which is substantially more than the list price for the recall parts. I did the work myself and conservatively estimate that 2 hours was spent on the installation (actual time was probably more like double that). I'm not including the cost of a second front fender bought so that I could remove the brake line routing clip or a second lower triple clamp cover that was slotted to accommodate the Galfer line routing.

When the recall was announced I went to my local dealer who mentioned that Suzuki might reimburse me. They said that they'd check into it and let me know. Months passed without hearing from them and I began receiving mailed notices about the recall from Suzuki. After two more go-rounds with the dealer I realized that they weren't interested in reimbursement, probably because there wasn't any money in it for them. They were only interested if I removed all the new parts, reinstalled the OEM parts, and brought the bike to them for installation of the recall parts. I then would get to remove the recall parts and reinstall the Brembo, etc. I guess I can understand them not wanting to be involved but wish that they'd just said as much, which even now they have yet to do.

So I got a copy of the Customer Reimbursement Claim form and mailed it to Suzuki along with copies of my receipts and proof of ownership at the time. That was on December 4, eight weeks ago. Since then I haven't been reimbursed or received any other response. Is this typical or has anyone else here actually been reimbursed? How long should this take?

P.S. The list price on the K6 kit is $202.99. Labor probably runs $50/hr or more here. So that sounds like I'm due at least $252.99.

·
Registered
39 Posts

just picked up an 06 - 750 2 weeks ago with 9600 miles and turned out, the previous owner never took it in. Gotta do it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts

I just called my dealer and they didn't know anything about it, said that they looked up my VIN and there are no current recalls for it.
What bike do you have?

·
Registered
39 Posts

I checked on the Suzuki website and it says my bike isnt under the recall. Its a 06 gsxr 1k.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Call your local dealer and have them run the vin.
Ill swing by them tomorrow. If i need it ill have them order the part and get it in before i drop the bike off.

421 - 440 of 441 Posts
About this Discussion
440 Replies
126 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing