Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to service the stock steering damper? I'd like to put some thicker oil in it.
How do I open that thing?

[ 08-17-2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Wolf1100L ]

G

·
0 Posts
jon no 'h' has done it on his newer gen and i also think that essemess has recently done it also...you may want to PM them, or be patient and wait till they see this post...

but its certainly possible....do a search, a few people have done it with good results.

·
3,476 Posts
Nice bike. Sure, you can rebuild it. The small torx-head screw on the front of it is where the fluid lives. Remove the dampner, remove the screw and pump the fluid out. I used a plastic syringe to get the new stuff in there, but anything with a small enough opening will work. Slowly cycle the piston to remove the air and make sure it's topped off. I used Motul 5 weight oil and it's perfect for me. Good luck......

[ 08-17-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Ragnar ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
IxLr8 was the one that guided Jon-no-H through it...One of the details they discovered after the rebuild was to leave a little air in it. If you don't leave air in it, it will become very stiff when the oil gets heated during use. Oil expands when heated and needs that air gap. IxLr8's almost quit working, effectively locking the steering in one place...which would be bad if you needed to turn.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.
I can't see any screws on the thing...got me beat how to open it.
Here are two pics of my steering damper. Where is the screw?

[ 08-17-2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Wolf1100L ]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Damn! I've junked two of those things 'cause I thought they couldn't be rebuilt

The one on the bike at the mo is going to have a 'build tomorrow.

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs! (it's a uk thing
)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Wolf1100L:
Thanks for your replies.
I can't see any screws on the thing...got me beat how to open it.
Here are two pics of my steering damper. Where is the screw?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...I had mine off the bike, and as far as I can tell, the "rebuild" stuff only applies to 1st-gen and 3rd-gen or later... those of us with the 2nd gen (`89-`92) are just stuck with going aftermarket after the stocker dies... at least, *I* couldn't figure out how to open it without destroying it...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Go with some thing aftermarket that is ajustable I got a Toby that is 17 click ajustable for a couple hundred bucks and when it takes a shit the rebuild kit for it is only $32. If you want a laugh call Suzuki and ask how much the stock damper is. Get this $611, what a fuckin joke.

·
3,476 Posts
Sorry to get your hopes up guy. I thought it was the same or similar unit as the first generation. I haven't had a problem "yet" riding all day in 100 degree weather with all of the air removed, but thanks for the info. I certainly don't need any help crashing. I come pretty close to that on my own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts