Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi gang!

I had my 1000R on track last night, and I've done 4 days now, without having issues with noise limits.
The stock exhaust is still on it, waiting for an Arrow slipon (the euro4 can) - and I was really enjoying the bike last night.

...and I got flagged for triggering the noise limit, which is low here in Sweden, 95 dB flyby.
I thought the marshalls were having a laugh...I got to finish the session though (kicking up a gear or 2).

Back in the pit, I noticed that the exhaust note was indeed angrier on idle -quite alot even.
Couldn't find any leaks, or splits. There was definitely a louder note out of the muffler. The exhaust valve was also moving as expected, closed on idle, and opening up when throttle was applied.

It was the last session for the night, so I let the bike cool off, got out of the leathers, had a chat with friends, etc.

Once cooled off slightly, the exhaust note was back to normal.

Odd as ferk.

Registered
GSX-R750
At least on my older K4 750, I saw a few notes in the service and owners manual to "re-torque the exhaust system bolts" or something to that degree. It was even a scheduled maintenance item. After a certain amount of miles (and especially when the bike was brand new) it said to re tighten the bolts connecting the header to the engine, the muffler to the mid-pipe, and the mid-pipe and muffler mounting/bracket bolts.

Worth checking and it's free. I had a 2019 ZX-6R though and perhaps in modern exhausts they have figured out a way to make that not be necessary, but worth trying. Things expand when they get hot, makes sense the bolts or fitment could be expanding and leaking when hot, and then shrinking and not leaking when cold.

Hope this helps. Also hope you find an easy way to get a torque wrench hex onto the header mounting bolts, they are a bit tight of a squeeze to get in there, especially with the radiator on.

-Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...problem is - stock exhaust is very, very silent normally, at full throttle on track, still fairly silent. The bike makes full power (got no problem reeling in S1000s, etc..so it runs strong).
All of a sudden it got very loud, silencer removed loud. And no leaks, splits the exhaust note ouf of the silencer was alot (alot) louder.

If it'd been a stuck valve I would've had plenty of noise chats with the stewards...as the valves are open on full chat.It's been quiet (for a 200 hp bike) at full power. Until just now.

It runs quiet/normal again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you check the link pipe between the headers in front of the rad? I think there鈥檚 a valve that can vibrate loose and would make exhaust raspier.
I had the common rattle there, that needed adjusting.

As the bike was back to normal noise levels once cooled down after that stint on track, it's been behaving since.
Now the bike is sporting an Arrow slipon (the euro4 spec one), with the dB-killer in, it's sitting at the same noise levels as stock at 6k rpm static. :) Will be interesting to see next season (winter is...coming over here in Sweden).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts