Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an 01 gsxr 750 and maybe I’m wrong but I think the front end was lowered, could someone tell me how much of the shock should be above the upper triple tree?? Or better yet show me a picture of it..

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
How bout you post a pic and show us instead???

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Looks like approx 1/4" above the triple? Most likely done for track-duty handling reasons,not lowered per se like a drag bike which is what I thought you may have been asking ;)

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I'm confident you'll get a definitive answer by the end of the day

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,180 Posts
I don't have a K0/3 manual handy right now, but you can find one and it should specify the installed distance between the upper surface of the triple clamp and the fork tube upper end. The K4/5 manual (see reassembly/installation procedure for forks, page 8-24) specifies it as 5mm for instance and it includes a diagram which shows the measurement as *not* including the fork tube cap, i.e. measured from the top of the triple clamp to the seam between fork tube and fork tube cap.

I expect the specification for the previous model to be similar, but look it up in the service manual and pay attention to the exact measurement that is specified, as it might be defined differently than for the K4/5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t have a manual, I use to have allot of them but that was like 15 years ago..

Does anyone know where I can download one?

I don't have a K0/3 manual handy right now, but you can find one and it should specify the installed distance between the upper surface of the triple clamp and the fork tube upper end. The K4/5 manual (see reassembly/installation procedure for forks, page 8-24) specifies it as 5mm for instance and it includes a diagram which shows the measurement as *not* including the fork tube cap, i.e. measured from the top of the triple clamp to the seam between fork tube and fork tube cap.

I expect the specification for the previous model to be similar, but look it up in the service manual and pay attention to the exact measurement that is specified, as it might be defined differently than for the K4/5.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,826 Posts
This is what it looks like

That's perfectly fine. Those early generations would come stock with the fork poking up a few mm's above the triples just as you have it. If someone "lowered" it, it would look something more like this......with an inch+ sticking out over the triple clamps, as well as having different shock linkage that drops the back end out as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man that’s what I assumed but last time I had a bike was 15 years ago and forks didn’t stick above if I recall correctly they would be flush...

That's perfectly fine. Those early generations would come stock with the fork poking up a few mm's above the triples just as you have it. If someone "lowered" it, it would look something more like this......with an inch+ sticking out over the triple clamps, as well as having different shock linkage that drops the back end out as well.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,826 Posts
Thanks man that’s what I assumed but last time I had a bike was 15 years ago and forks didn’t stick above if I recall correctly they would be flush..

It's going to be variable based on lots of things. The nice thing is that these bikes are adjustable for various difference factors, as well as different nuances between different model years. So for instance, back then it was common to drop the front end a bit by sliding the forks up in the clamps a bit to make the bike turn sharper. In later model GSXRs we actually raise the front and rear of the bike UP to give it better ground clearance and turning characteristics when cornering at the track. Also the height of the tire you are using can affect how much you raise up or lower the bike to get proper cornering characteristics. Granted alot of this is minutiae that we deal with at the race track when riding/cornering at much higher speeds, and totally unnecessary for typical street riding.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,958 Posts
"Does anyone know where I can download one?"

Here

Not familiar with that manual but it's typically in Chassis>Front Fork>Installation.

·
Super Moderator
15,024 Posts
I was thinking the same as I was looking at the picture. I remember both my superman Gixxers looking the same. OP still should get a service manual to be sure though. When I lowered the front for track duty on my 600 I could barely tell the difference from just looking at it.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,180 Posts
The specification is for 4mm, so it does seem to be lowered (albeit not radically). See page 6-26 of the service manual Bill linked to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts