Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone managed a rebuild of the stock damper?
Ive checked the parts sites for the suzuki and no detail part breakdown for the stock damper. Mine has a seal gone and leaks oil and the chrome rod has rust pits so needs replacing.

If anyone has rebuilt one are the seal stock metric and easy to source?

·
Registered
103 Posts
is this for a nut and bolt restoration? there are many other relatively cheap shock options that will be better than attempting to rebuild the stock shock

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this for a nut and bolt restoration? there are many other relatively cheap shock options that will be better than attempting to rebuild the stock shock
My bad I meant steering damper - not the shock.
Already got the shocks rebuilt.

Would be nice to keep the bike as stock as possible but I am ok with replacing the original steering damper with aftermarket.
Anyone know of a good aftermarket damper that bolts in to standard damper mountings?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry I missunderstood. measure the length and throw of your existing damper and there will be loads of options. Fast from the Past has some nice steering dampers for a reasonable price

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone managed a rebuild of the stock damper?
Ive checked the parts sites for the suzuki and no detail part breakdown for the stock damper. Mine has a seal gone and leaks oil and the chrome rod has rust pits so needs replacing.

If anyone has rebuilt one are the seal stock metric and easy to source?
Rebuilt a 'no parts available' steering damper on a 89 1100K.
Had to remove the the 'factory crimping' on the housing which was preventing the internal end plugs from unscrewing to get the seals out.
Cylinder and rod was mostly okay, so took the seals to a bearing supplier and got (2) 20mm x 10mm x 7mm seals.
Used 5W fork oil and stroked the damper until the all the air bled out and could no longer be heard inside the damper. Topped up the oil again and then fitted it. That was 6+ years ago and it's never leaked a drop since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts