Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 oil-cooled non-California GSXR 750. I have posted other questions about getting flat-slides to work on my bike because I am having a lot problems with
when I pull on the throttle cable, it causes the "connection" between the adjoining carb to pull the metal piece right by it thus the carbs are not all opening
I thought I could attach a video ... I put some pictures on to hopefully you can tell what is happening

If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix this I would appreciate it.
  1. The bar holding the carbs does not appear to be bent.
  2. Spacing is good and I am having no problems attaching to the bike
  3. Choke rod works perfectly (confirming that the alignment seems correct)
Thanks for your help

Fluid Coil Coil spring Gas Machine
Coil Gas Machine Auto part Metal
Coil Gas Machine Coil spring Metal
Coil Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Machine

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
carb synchronization, or put together wrong, inspect and sync, you can have a shop do it or buy the tool, lift tank perform sync.. easy enough, I had a munkee doing those down in the shop but he rode off one sunny day hant seen him since?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Unless someone has had this exact issue too, the only way to diagnose this is to disassemble the carbs and inspect how they were assembled and every part to try and find the problem. As said, it is either assembled wrong, adjusted wrong, or something broke that cannot be readily seen.

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
adjuster arms on the wrong side? missing springs?

on pic #4 the lever is on the wrong side, then it needs a spring to hold against adjuster arm against screw..

pics #1 #2 and #3 you need a spring on to push the lever against the adjuster screw..

#4 assembled wrong missing screw, 2, 3, 4, missing spring.. #5 is correct needs cleaning

you will know when you have them right when all butterflies are closed the exact same.. use the idle screw and push open the closest butterfly to the idle screw and crack that butterly open a hair, like a papers width, use as a gauge or use feeler gauges, whatever you can get in there and get butterflies cracked open ALL the same distance..

I adjust mine so that when the screw is backed off all but 3/4 turn the idle closes off completely, engine dies.. that gives me a lot of idle up thread remaining so I can hit 5500 to test stator

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
carbs need a good cleaning as well, take that choke or idle up rail and straighten it out, it's all bent up, won't work smoothly..

clean all rust away everywhere, are you going to soak them? you could use evaporust and soak each one for 45 minutes or so to get all extremal rust off, maybe new cables if they're rusty and sticky or soak them in evaporust and rinse off with WD40?

inspect clean and lube your fast idle lever on the controls, be careful as not to lose anything, maybe do this in a large box with one side cut away? clean and lube throttle tube on right side, inspect controls for rust and corrosion..

seems this bike was in a high rust area, so the whole bike prolly needs going over, stored in a dry spot with a vapor barrier beneath

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carbs need a good cleaning as well, take that choke or idle up rail and straighten it out, it's all bent up, won't work smoothly..

clean all rust away everywhere, are you going to soak them? you could use evaporust and soak each one for 45 minutes or so to get all extremal rust off, maybe new cables if they're rusty and sticky or soak them in evaporust and rinse off with WD40?

inspect clean and lube your fast idle lever on the controls, be careful as not to lose anything, maybe do this in a large box with one side cut away? clean and lube throttle tube on right side, inspect controls for rust and corrosion..

seems this bike was in a high rust area, so the whole bike prolly needs going over, stored in a dry spot with a vapor barrier beneath
Not sure what you mean by "carb needs a good cleaning". There is no rust at all on any of my carbs. A bit of discoloration. Completely cleaned with WD40 and 000 scotch brite. Soaked in de-greaser etc....
When I took these carbs off there were not a lot of springs. I better go back and look at microfiche online to make sure I am not missing anything. But you are right... I am in Nebraska. This bike came from the mid-west and I am pretty sure it sat for a while. I had to do a major clean out of the tank.
Thanks for all your help guys !!
Todd

Fluid Coil Coil spring Gas Machine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you mean by "carb needs a good cleaning". There is no rust at all on any of my carbs. A bit of discoloration. Completely cleaned with WD40 and 000 scotch brite. Soaked in de-greaser etc....
When I took these carbs off there were not a lot of springs. I better go back and look at microfiche online to make sure I am not missing anything. But you are right... I am in Nebraska. This bike came from the mid-west and I am pretty sure it sat for a while. I had to do a major clean out of the tank.
Thanks for all your help guys !!
Todd

View attachment 581436

BTW .. it's a bummer I am spending all this time on these and I have a perfect set of flatslides!!! I just can't seem to find the right boots for them... but I have a whole nother thread going about that!!!
:p:rolleyes:

Todd

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Idiophone Musical instrument Automotive lighting Insect Automotive design

Well I finally found a more complete picture.
This looks like the exact year of mine and that spring I circled was definitely not on the carb.
Are there similar springs on the ones with the arrow?

Thanks a ton for all your help ... getting closer !!
Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those springs are all the same as far as I know but hard to find new parts. Search for balance springs for carbs on ebay and you'll find something to fit. Good luck fitting them! Do it indoors so you can find the spring when it pings out..

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
those carb "synchronizer adjusters" (as i call them, but not sure if they have a proper name) are not installed correctly. i don't have any fotos of my carbs, but when i get a chance, i will shoot some fotos of the "synchronizer adjusters".

carbs are no fun, but i have to learn since i can't find anyone local to work on carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 92 oil-cooled non-California GSXR 750. I have posted other questions about getting flat-slides to work on my bike because I am having a lot problems with
when I pull on the throttle cable, it causes the "connection" between the adjoining carb to pull the metal piece right by it thus the carbs are not all opening
I thought I could attach a video ... I put some pictures on to hopefully you can tell what is happening

If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix this I would appreciate it.
  1. The bar holding the carbs does not appear to be bent.
  2. Spacing is good and I am having no problems attaching to the bike
  3. Choke rod works perfectly (confirming that the alignment seems correct)
Thanks for your help

View attachment 581422 View attachment 581423 View attachment 581421 View attachment 581424
You are missing a spring, my friend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts