Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 750,stock motor with a yosh pipe and jet kit. I have heard on the newer bikes that the stock airbox should not be replaced with single pods because of the air volume and all that technical crap. Do'es this apply to the early gsxr's? The way I see it is more air,more gas means more power! Any one have first hand, personal experiance with swap? How were your results?

------------------

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I've had a few aircooled gsxr's with the individual air filters. I like them much better than airboxes. It makes servicing your bike a ton easier. You will have to rejet your bike. I have a few friends with aircooled gsxr's with mikuni and keihin flatslides and no airboxes and they work great.

------------------
95 GSXR1100W
41 Keihin flatslides with K&N's, 1147 12:1 piston kit, Dyna 2000, Yosh Stainless Race only RS-3, 750 oil pan and oil cooler, Orient Express 4 spring clutch conversion, Back cut trans, Factory Pro shift kit, Pingle guzzler, Braided lines, Ape head studs

Soon to be installed:
Lazer Level 3 head, Web Cams

For Sale:
Ape billet cam chain tensioner brand new!
Muzzys aluminum radiator fan

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have an 86 with a hindle, K&Ns, and flatslides it required a major rejet if yours is jetted correctly when you remove the stock airbox you will have to rejet again. Iam assuming you have cv carbs which will not be quite as sensitive to changes as the flatslides but removing the airbox is a big change.

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree with Edster- once you get the carbs dialed in they run great.

I've got what is essentially one of the early o/c 1100's in my Bandit; it runs *great* with dual K&N's, I'd never go back to running the airbox on that bike.

Depending on the jet kit you already have- does it have adjustable needles?- you may just need to step up to larger mains.

Be certain to *set* the float heights. Since the back of the carbs is no longer supported by the airbox mounts you can run into problems if float levels are too high (the carbs vibrate more plus they'll droop a little, which can be enough to get fuel sloshing out of the main air jet onto the hot engine)... ask me how I know!

Ed

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxr1198:
Be certain to *set* the float heights. Since the back of the carbs is no longer supported by the airbox mounts you can run into problems if float levels are too high (the carbs vibrate more plus they'll droop a little, which can be enough to get fuel sloshing out of the main air jet onto the hot engine)... ask me how I know!

Ed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm....never thought to check that out on the water pumper. I've got the dual BMC's on my '93 1100 (40mm.. I'm in Canada) and they are somewhat bigger than they should be (slightly proud of the frame rails, but do fit). It's really late here now, but I've got to check out the bike later to see what the support is. Sure as hell the airbox was, ahem, wedged in by the factory. I'd love to have a video of that step in the production

------------------

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcjohn:
Sure as hell the airbox was, ahem, wedged in by the factory. I'd love to have a video of that step in the production<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't kiddin'! ...they must slip it into place before the engine cradle is raised up.

I was *not* able to get the box out of my '96 until the engine was out of the frame; got within a gnat's eyelash of making it but could never quite pull it free (without breaking something off of it)... actually I think it MIGHT have come out if I had pulled the alternator and taken off the casting covering the drive.

I musta tried every single possible angle, and certainly didn't leave any possible curse untried

------------------

[This message has been edited by gsxr1198 (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.You confirmed my oppinion,looks like I'm going to K&N's. There's a good shop not to far from me, some of the guys there are roadracers and they love horsepower. So I will do a before and after on there dyno.It will be cool to see the dyno sheets.I will post the results on this forum.

------------------

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kawboy
It's going to be fired up this weekend,all I need now is a little time & some gas!We' find the most twisty road eastern Washington has to offer,LET'S GET IT ON!

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts