Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow GIXXER friends! I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can possibly tell me what the hell is up with my bike. I have a 96 gixxer750 and it is still rattling. I changed the CCT to a manual APE tentioner and it still makes the friggin noise. I checked all the valves to make sure the shims were properly gapped. I checked the cam chain and it was a little loose so I tightened it up. Dam!!!! Can it be the cam chain guides????? Did I blow something in the motor???? All I know is that she ripps just as hard as she ever did but the noise is irratating. Compression is good!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S UP. If you guys can help me PLEASE give me some knowledge to fix it so I can be out there cruisin with the rest of you GIXXER folks. Thanks you guys. RIDE SAFE.....BE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Check the clutch - mine was out of adjustment and rattled - still worked fine though, come to think of it I think it still rattles a bit.....

My whole bike has rattled a bit for over 30K miles, despite my best efforts to cure this it still rattles
at various places.

I too have changed the cam chain, CCT (now manual - noisier but safer), the head was pretty much re-built at 45K, and most every consumeable has been consumed in that time.

I ignore it - as long as it feels fine - and it has got stronger with age I am sure, and it does not develop any new noises I do not worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 96 750 also that has the exact same problem you are having. I also changed the CCT to a manual and the noise is still there. I still ride my bike though. The sound is annoying but its never gotten worse. Sorry I couldnt help with the problem but just thought you should know that youre not the only one with that problem.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Gixxers by nature are loud running bikes.
If you adjusted the CCT right you are probably doing fine. Did you look (open the valve cover) at the Cam Chain and make sure that their is tension on it?
Since I got a manual one installed my bike is considerably noisier but it is not cam chain slap

jontflesh

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
What does it sound like? You may have a bad chain...

I was helping a gixxer memeber in stall there CCT and we found that the chain was bad also...
So now we are going to wait for the chain...

John

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I discovered a new noise a few weeks, and the cure this morning.....

During a recent clean and inspect session it seems that the tank rubbers fell out - and probably hid somewhere. I noticed that there was a new resonance noise sounded like intake roar but with a metallic edge to it - and after noticing that the rubbers where awol - and getting some freebies off a crashed one at my local shop (thank you OC Suzuki) the noice has gone....

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeha those tank rubber pieces suck! I dont want to glue them on but they always fall off and get lost

check your chain for sure

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup...Gixxer-Freak is right
!!! He was helping me install a manual CCT
. After we got it in...the bike made some weird noises. The chain was bad. Now we're waiting for a new cam chain to come in for my bike...Damn I can't wait!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.....Well, I have a brand new RK chain on my bike now. I also checked under the valve cover to see if the chain was tight and it was. I am wondering if it can also be the cam chain guides???? This dam noise pisses me off...lol. When I find out what the hell the noise is guys, I will let you all know. I just can't be riding out there with my bike sounding like shit. But she ripps. I also have a dry clutch on my gixxer but I know that the sound I hear is not from that. You guys are the best....and thanks for all your help. I'LL GET THAT NOISE.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
i think he meant the cam chain itself not the bike chain
or hell check em both make sure you key(s) is not doing it or loose bolts

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had a rattle once, turns out that the rear seat cowl lost a rubber bushing. Very annoying, made it sound ghetto.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
yeh my 98 750 does the same shit,..i just posted about this in fact...i just replaced my tensioner and nows it more annoying than ever..my friends were laughing at me cause they could here it tickin away, said it sounded like a time bomb...tick tick tick tick..fukin annoying...the bike seems to run strong as ever though..i dunno..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea it could be loose, or the chain might be bad.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea I ment the Cam Chain.. Also, the auto CCT has been knowen to go out and come back on its own... So keep that in mind..

John

·
Registered
119 Posts
Talk about rattles.....man I had a bad one....every time I let off the throttle I would hear a rattle almost like the keys in the ignition...I could not find this rattle for the life of me and I gave up and thought I would have to live with it..one day I figured I should change the oil in my steering damper, feels kinda loose... so grab the allen key reached in to grab it..RATTLE>>>RATTLE !! SUN OF A BITCH !! the rubber mounting washer was worn out and it was rattling !! Rattles are such a downer... Hope your chain is not gone south !! Later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts