Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought the bike from a guy in town. I was new to riding so I wasn't comfortable try to give it all it had until a few weeks later. Noticed a lot of problems he claimed he never had (which was a lie)
I don't have as much money as I did when I bought the bike so I'm slowly getting it back to what it should be.

04 GSXR-1000
40,240ish miles.
I am the 4th owner.
Here's one of the problems I had to fix thanks to the help from you guys.
It still doesn't redline but instead of only getting to 6k rph I can get to 9.5k
Instead of a max speed of 90 mph in 6th gear i can get up to 126.

-EDIT-
The bike wouldn't start after cleaning the tank.
My buddy and I pulled the bike to pieces.
Cleaned the spark plugs because of carbon build up and adjusted the spacing which was off by 0.004.
Pulled the fuel injectors and fuel rail. Cleaned them and used an air hose to push out any gunk. (There was none)
After the the bike would start but idle rough
Pressure tested
Fuel pressure: 6psi
We then disassembled the fuel pump for the 10th time. But this time!!! I took the air hose to the black box on the fuel pump and blew out all the gas which had a lot of rust, dirt, ect in it.
I then proceeded to blast it with carb cleaner and use the air gun the clean it over and over until it came out clean. This took about 10 minutes.
I sprayed the cleaner in the hole where the pump connects to the black part of the pump, covered the top hole with my finger and blew air through the bottom home where the fuel leaves the pump.

WE ALSO NOTICED THIS PROBLEM.
the O ring that sits on the actual assembly was stuck inside the pump and covering the hole where the gas came out.
We removed it and pushed it back on the assembly.
fuel pressure after this: 43psi
The bike fired up and runs perfect.
Red lines flawlessly.
Got a ticket an hour later.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow ,

That is filthy ! did the bike sit around a long time ? I would check the fuel tank also.

Pull the injectors and check for similar clog-age.

bike looks good in pic but yeah, go over everything.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,987 Posts
Ahhhh.... better living, brought to you by the good folks who make ethanol

Post pics of the inside of the tank. If you're seeing rusty sludge on that filter and in the sump, your tank is definitely rusted inside. I went through the same thing a few years ago. I tried electrolysis and vinegar treatments. Both made it worse (but I'm useless). Rather than risk contaminating this bike, I sourced a clean tank / fuel pump and called it a day.

The difference with me is that I discovered this while pulling my bike out of years of storage. IE it never actually RAN, ingesting that rusty sludge so rust did not make its way into the injectors / heads / cylinders.

This was my filter and sump

And this is what the tank looked like inside. No bueno. This is the kind of thing you can't let slide - rust is cancer. Post pics and let's see what we see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys! I'll post a picture of the tank when I can. I plan on just buying a new one. I went to a shop and had a guy ride it. He road it for 60 seconds and diagnosed it. Fuel pump needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Skid lol !? fk are you ?

Thanx for more horrid pictures of neglect.

yea, the easiest way to ruin fuel system is to let it sit.

Even when I'm not riding much, I will start bike at least once a week.

Op, would replace all fuel lines plus O-rings if you want to be thorough.

ride on....

·
7,987 Posts
Thanx for more horrid pictures of neglect.

Those are the 'before' pics. You should have seen it after two wasted weekends of vinegar / electrolysis treatments. It looked pretty much like this

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are the 'before' pics. You should have seen it after two wasted weekends of vinegar / electrolysis treatments. It looked pretty much like this

Oh wow! Mine doesn't look that bad!
I bought a new rear tire, rear brakes, and currently waiting on a new fuel pump and wheel bareings

·
7,987 Posts
Post pics of inside your tank. You can hide your head up your ass if you want but if the tank is rusted inside, even like my first pics, you're throwing money at a time bomb, ESPECIALLY if you're riding it like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When its daylight. I forgot to snap one.
Also my tank is full and I have nothing to dump it in XD

·
7,987 Posts
A new tank, pump, line, rail, injectors & engine and you'll be off to the races. TBs should still be good if you clean 'em.

EDIT: I'm by no means a forum expert on FI issues. That said, you've been RIDING the bike with rust and sludge being pumped through your FI / engine. Suzuki engineers didn't program ECUs to manage that type of fueling issue. Rust in the tank is cancer to any fueling system and engine. Your airbox is still good though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.
Put the new fuel pump on and it will turn over for a second and die.
Found more rust on the fuel filter so I'm going to clean it again and hope for the best on that part.
Taking the bike to a shop and paying the $80 to have it looked at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright boys I found the solution. ^ I'll edit the main post. For those who are experiencing what I did. This is a must read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts