Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states....just got an oil change done and on the ride home i immediately noticed a substantial difference in the shift lever resistance when downshifting. I have an 08 600 w 5000 miles. Is this normal or should i be worried????

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
What type of oil did they use?

No, it is not normal btw...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot wat its called but its the same oil and weight that i always ran in my cbr. Never had any issues with it before. This is the 1st oil change ive done on this bike. Was thinking that it possibly had synthetic in it before...would that cause it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. So They used maxima maxum 4 premium 20w50 oil. Like i said its what i always ran in my cbr w no issues

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Why 20w-50? That is pretty thick oil, unless you live somewhere really hot or are racing the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in arizona lol easily over 110 daily during summer time. Bike gets up to 220 within minutes

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Ok, well that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Have you looked at the actual shift linkage? Is anything caught in there? Maybe something is binding up.

Also, check your chain tension. Should be anywhere from 1.25"-1.5" of chain slack. Too tight can cause shifting issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would that cause the slight tension difference in down shifting?? I mean its not like its clunking into gear. Just feel it a lil more after the oil change

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Did it get any better when the bike warmed up? If so, it could be the oil. If not, check the things I mentioned in post #8.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chain is fine and bike was shifting great prior to the change. I did notice that after about half way home it did ease up a lil. Possibly just stiff because tranny wasnt fully lubed yet??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So riding today i noticed that the stiffness was gone and bike was up and down shifitng smoothly.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Ok, so no worries I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts