Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Assessing the damage from an accident, I noticed the right notch on the steering stem that stops the handlebars from hitting the frame was broken off.

With your infinite wisdom and knowledge I was hoping you guys could shed some light on some of my options.

1 - I see there's a stem on ebay, but its for a K8 1000. Now, I searched on BikeBandit and the part numbers ARE different, but for my own satisfaction perhaps one of you (or more) could just convince me it is/isn't.

2 - pfft. Notches. Who needs em? (They're there for a reason)

3 - Try to have it repaired? :dunno

4 - Just wait around until someone decides to part with a good stem, be it ebay etc.

Thanks

Pics for clarity

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
You could repair it but it would prolly cost just as much as you could get a used on on Ebay. funny cause I just bought one off of Ebay and the same steering stop nub was broken off.
I seen a lot of lower trees on there when I got mine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
buy another! I personally wouldn't risk having it welded back on. Maybe one of the track guys could chime in and tell us if they would or already have welded any parts after a crash:chucks

·
Lets go racing!
7,568 Posts
just buy a replacement, and yes u need it, a rode my bike with one broken off and it sucks cuz it tends to pinch the fingers on occasion when moving the bike around

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
No need to weld it at all. You could mill off the stock nubs and either press in 2 new pins or drill and tap and use 2 cylinder shaped pieces with a hole throug them. Something that looks like this that will take a flat head machine screw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting a really good deal on a new stem, so I was wondering how difficult it is to swap. I have some pretty ok wrenching experience and confident in my methods but maybe I should leave it to the professionals?

I think I can but I'm crazy :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It'll take you an hour tops if you do it yourself with proper tools. Don't forget to grease the ball bearings in the steering stem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts