Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recieving a great deal of chatter when using the front brakes. From what I can tell the steering stem nut is tight(I have not checked it with a torque wrench but it is on there pretty tight), as well as the steering stem locknut and the bearing adjust nut. I am thinking that possibly the bearings have gone bad?? I used to use the bike to stunt on and I can't imagine that doing stoppies can be very good for the bearings. I have since started to clean the bike up and not use it for stunting anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this topic. Also, I have the clymer manual and the procedure looks somewhat straightforward with the right tools, anyone who has done this can you chime in on its difficulty level. I am pretty comfy wrenchin on the bike so I am gonna give it a shot.
Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
It's not hard to replace the bearings and races.
Although chatter from the front while on the brakes, could be rotors, worn tire, low pressure etc.
Does it feel notchy when you turn the bars, or is it smooth?
If the bars turn side to side nice and free with no resistance, then it's probably not the stearing head bearings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I doubt it's your steering stem bearings. Does it do it every time you brake or just when you really get on it?
It could be a number of things:
- tire worn or just not gripping and it skips along the road.
- something in the front end lose. (check this asap)
- wrong tire pressure
Did this just start happening all of a sudden, or did it progress to this stage?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turning bars left and right it is smooth. The harder I brake the less the chatter. It is more prevalent at speeds under 30mph. I guess I will just go through nuts and bolts and make sure everything is snug. It seems to have gotten progressively worse over a little bit of time. However, I just put my bike on the road a week ago so I haven't ridden it in a while and don't really remember it being this bad last summer.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts