Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one here run an after market damper set up..i will be ordering a HyperPro damper here in a few weeks. i had one on my 600 and it was the best mods i had done to it. just wondering if anyone else runs the same thing or any other brands...

·
Registered
81 Posts
i had a scott's on my r6 which was great. However, I think i will be satisfied with the stock damper for now. It seems perfect for the sttreet....

not sure why switch out unless you're planning on doing track

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
There's no need for an aftermarket damper on the K4's, unless you're racing. The handling is so good out of the crate, there's really no need to try and dampen out anything.
The stock damper is fine for the track......I raced my 2000 750 in FUSA and CCS races at NHIS, Summit, Pocono and Daytona without any problems. I'm currently racing my 04 600 in FUSA, CCS and WERA and will keep the stock damper until it needs to be replaced and when it needs to be replaced, I'll buy a Scotts or an Ohlins.

njracer

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I became used to my stock dampener on my 750 and was considering buying a scotts then I did some stand ups on an 03 F4I with no dampener. Holy shitN scary
Stock is just fine
Wheelied an 03 R1 with a Scotts
Nice but not worth the 400 bucks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i also like the adjustability of the aftermarket units..plus the look of a top mount HyperPro with the black and gold is just sweet..

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i also like the adjustability of the aftermarket units..plus the look of a top mount HyperPro with the black and gold is just sweet..
yes thats why I like my scotts. I wouldn't of bought it, but i already had it on my previous 929 for only 3 months. So i sold the bike and transfered the dampner. I rode it stock for a while, and I still think i can tell under more stressful conditions on the bike that she responds better with the different dampner. I had a near highside that also went tankslapper that was smoothly and quickly resolved, along with some annoying lane dividers here in texas that are the size of a softball!!. Point being, the stocker is fine, but the scotts is a beatiful peice of work. Plus you get plenty of compliments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not about being cool...or the cost involved, its about the improved handling and the performance of the bike being more stable.. Ok then why did you buy a Akra pipe for your bike..maybe performance or a "cool sound or look".. everyone likes there bike nice looking, too..dont get me wrong..i like getting stuff just for that reason..

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
well if you get into it, a lot of old school rides, and some recent articles claim that a steering dampner actually decreases your ability to "feel" the bike. The steering dampner is fighting against what the road/bike is trying to tell you. And you the rider may not actually know what is happening until its to late. While not having a dampner can actually teach to read what is going on with the bike b4 something happens, and then you can correct for it.

this was just something I read so, don't kill the messenger.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Its not about being cool...or the cost involved, its about the improved handling and the performance of the bike being more stable.. Ok then why did you buy a Akra pipe for your bike..maybe performance or a "cool sound or look".. everyone likes there bike nice looking, too..dont get me wrong..i like getting stuff just for that reason..
I was just teasing....sorry but this topic has been beaten to death numerous times in this forum. As I've said numerous times...roll how ya like.

I just don't think the cost of a new damper is worth it on our bikes unless you are tracking. The cost does not equal the added benefit for the street IMHO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i can see where you are coming from there..that is true..i mean you can pretty much make a damper so stiff to turn that you cant feel anything..my friend has a 02 R1 and he had to put a damper on it because after he got done with his motor work.. in any gear like up to 5th/6th he would get a nasty headshake from the tire floating when you jumped on the throttle and know with the damper he doesnt get that any more..and it has saved he a couple of time when setting down long stand-ups..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts