Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the stock steering damper on my 91 750 be rebuilt or do I need to buy a new one? And also how necessary is it in this year bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy a new one (provided you don't buy and Ohlins). Plus, if you buy a new one you could get an adjustable one.

Yes, a steering dampener is needed on this bike. If you have ever had "speed wobbles" or a "tank slap" you'll never ride a bike without a dampener again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The stock ones aren't worth a rebuild (I don't even think you could if you wanted to) there are a lot of adjustable aftermarket damper on the market, I bought a daytona and it works well. It's also rebuildable if need be...

I wouldn't advise riding too "seriously" w/o a damper. They will tank slap severely , I know from experience...I threw those bvd's away!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yah i was told the same thing (never ride w/o one) I was told my bike doesnt have one cuz its an older model? I got an 88 750. Do they come stock with one?

·
Registered
263 Posts
This actually brings up a question I have had, I want to get one for my '86 750 but don't see any in catalogs/on the net. I take it I have to measure it out and build my own (i.e. buy damper, fork clamp, and frame bracket)? Doesn't seem like a big job but I have been wondering.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts