Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steering damper not damping as much as \'03s?

I had an '03 750 last year and the steering damper was quite nice (stock). It wasn't too lose and didn't damp too much - really gave me no reason to consider changing it at all.

I've now got an '04 600 and feel that the front is very wobbly low and medium speeds - I don't like the feel and it is kind of scary at times when taking a turn and it feels like the front is just ready to give out (though that could be partially or entirely due to these poop tires - replacing those soon to rule that out & cause I prefer my Metzeler M-1's).

I know that the rake on the '04s is half a degree tighter I believe, but I don't know enough about the math to know if that .5 degrees can make this much of a feel difference. Anyone here got the ride experience to know if there's a difference in damping between the '03s and '04s? It really does feel like I've got very little to almost no damping in the front - but the damper is there!

If nobody here knows of any feel differences, then maybe the dealership I got the bike from drained the damper oil and never put new stuff in (it was stored for 1 year, as I bought it new in '05, but it's an '04)!?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: Steering damper not damping as much as \'03s?

First I would rec new rubber,sec the 04 does have quicker response vs the 03,you didn't say anything about the position of the forks in the triples-got tube showing above the triple?-it plays a big part in stability-if flush maybe its just your tires or maybe your damper is bad.The damping on 03 & 04 are pretty close

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Steering damper not damping as much as \'03s?

I'm pretty sure the forks are stock (ie, not raised/lowered in the tripple) but I'll double check next time I'm out at the bike. Just really needed to know if the damper for '03 and '04 was supposed to be similar or not - if it is as you say, then after changing the tires and verifying everything else is ok, I'll see about checking the damper in more detail.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts