Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at steering dampers for my 17 750. I see a lot of information, but cant find reviews that are current year or at least not too long ago. I doubt GPR, RSC, Ohlins, Scott have been using the same damper from 10 years ago and am curious what is the best out and durability from personal experience. Thanks Currently GPR is in the lead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I'm fine with the stock one. I recently inherited a lot of money and would like to spend some on the bike and I would just like to have one just in case. I've had about 3 tank slappers on my 09 which were very violent thankfully stayed up and 1 on my current bike which wasn't too bad, but financially speaking I can spend the money and not sweat it. I love the 750 and this bike has some sentimental value and I want to have a completed bike that I can start going to the track with and feel a bit more confident pushing the limits.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Then don't put money on a damper just yet. If you've got cash to throw at a trackbike, upgrade the suspension and get it (the suspension) tuned professionally. Also get a Brembo front master cylinder. Those two things are worth every penny. I've got an 05 600 that I run the shit out of on the track. Stock damper and the only time I get a wiggle is when I'm hard on the gas out of a turn. If "a lot of money" is really a lot, just get an Ohlins fork and shock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brembo MC and Rennsport lines, pads, 520 set up, QS, are part of the cart. Was debating ohlins shock and springs, it was in the cart, but i'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger on that for this bike as it would see the street more than the track. Tempted to just build a track only bike in the future. Just trying to get some basic improvements to finish up my current bike. Not trying to be reckless with the money, but want to upgrade what I have atm to help in the handling dept. This is my 2nd 750. Have played with a 13 cbr1000rr and a 14 R1, never ridden a 600. Have about 80k on the 750's combined riding time and try to push the envelope with them, but know I could be better. I would like to get into racing eventually down the road, but have no idea where to begin with it. Just want to learn some tips and gain information from others at the track Jennings is the closest. Any tips especially a good 600cc track only bike? Prefer to stay gsxr as I am comfortable on the bike. Money really isn't a issue now.

·
13,375 Posts
So this is extreme, but why not keep that bike pretty close to stock, and build up a dedicated track bike? I've learned that a bike setup for the track sucks on the street, and a bike setup for the street sucks on the track. You can get an old trackbike with a pretty good setup for $3500-$4000

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking about it and you helped me make up my mind. Always have been on the fence about adding the GPR and ohlins because I don’t want to turn this bike into a full track bike. So thank you for your wisdom.

So lol for future reference in case I need one. Which steering damper would you go with?

·
13,375 Posts
It sort of depends on what's available on the bike. If the bike is equipped with a linear from the factory, probably Ohlins or Bitubo. If there's none from the factory, the GPR. If, IF, I could get an Ohlins for under $100, I'd swap it out on my bike.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run GPR on my ZX-6R and ZX-9R. Neither had one from the factory and I won't ride a sportbike aggressively without one. I went with GPR (Scotts also has this) due to the ease of adjustment. You can crank it up when you need to and turn it down with the same motion you use to take your key out. You can also run it on multiple bikes by just buying another mounting kit. Two bolts hold the damper itself to the kit. That can be a con though as two bolts (4mm allen?) take it off and they can be easily stolen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run GPR on my ZX-6R and ZX-9R. Neither had one from the factory and I won't ride a sportbike aggressively without one. I went with GPR (Scotts also has this) due to the ease of adjustment. You can crank it up when you need to and turn it down with the same motion you use to take your key out. You can also run it on multiple bikes by just buying another mounting kit. Two bolts hold the damper itself to the kit. That can be a con though as two bolts (4mm allen?) take it off and they can be easily stolen.
My 750 came with one stock and it seems to be adequate. I've had it shake before and it pulls right out of it. I have no intention of going aftermarket unless it fails. I would spend money elsewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for clearing that up. Its just that suspension item that's there and is kinda a toss up for most I guess. Plus I think my worrisome is from my 09 750. First time I got a tank slapper was when I hit a hub cap doing about 110 and I went superman lol. Thankfully I was able to stabilize it. 2nd time was the scariest O shit moment I have ever had in my 8 years riding and that was also on my 09. Taking a exit I could be blindfolded going through over 120 as Its a simple no effort long exit and wasn't paying attention and ended up running over a bloody ladder, like your big ass ladder and that bent my front rim so bad it was a instant blow and I was also able to stabilize that one, but as I was thinking about it that was the stock steering damper and it saved my ass a few times. So I guess that answers my worries and hopefully any future member who comes across this thread wondering the same thing. Stock steering dampers for gixxers work.

As a track only bike I have always wanted a 2011 gsxr 600, but R6 is also a very close call, next to a zx6. Thanks again

·
Registered
184 Posts
A steering damper really just provides a safety net for poor riding technique or suspension / geometry that is aggressive (sportbikes). We all make mistakes and it only takes once. Most of us don't have crew chiefs either to constantly tweak the suspension. What works today on the highway is not ideal for tomorrow on the back roads.

The front wheel touching down crooked is probably the most common cause. Our roads are shit around here, and being at full lean and hitting a pot hole can end badly.

I look at it as being a lot cheaper than my medical insurance deductible... 😉

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a GPR on my bike and I dig it. They're located pretty close to me here in Cali. It'll take you a few rides to get used to it, start on the lowest setting. My dealer has them on his bikes and threw it on for me, cranked it up to 10 and sent me on way. I turned it down to 1 at the first light I hit lol. Even on the lowest setting, they dampen way more than the stock. I'd recommend getting your suspension tuned to your weight too, but these dampers are well worth the money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My steering damper has served me well. I came over some railroad tracks and once it started shaking it sorted itself out really quickly. I'm happy with the stocker so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
Chedwerks
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing