Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my '04 600 in for first service yesterday and when i got it back earlier today my bike seems completely different! They messed with all my settings, even my suspension setup! The bike doesn't even ride like it used to...
My main question though was about my clutch. Before the first service the friction point on my clutch was about an inch or so off the handlebar. But after the first service it doesn't start catching til wayyyyy late. It now engages about an inch before the clutch lever is fully out. I tried messing with the minor clutch adjustment dial on the lever but it does nothing. All it does is make the clutch play stiffer or softer. Is this something that you guys experienced too? Or did i just fork over money for them to fuck my bike up for me? I would have done the first service myself but i wanted to keep my bike under the warranty. If this is a similar occurence with other people is there a way to fix it, cause i liked the way it felt before the stealership messed with things. I really don't know what would cause my clutch friction point to change after just doing a basic oil change.....is there another clutch adjustment setting that i can alter to change the friction point? Sounds stupid i know, but i don't know of anythin else to change it. Thanks for any info guys!

·
Registered
214 Posts
After my 600 mile service it was the same for me. The bike felt all different but in a good way. It handled tighter than before. The clutch is supposed to be the way it is now. Mine doesnt even begin to engage until the last inch of letting the lever out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Same thing happened with my '04 600. I usually clutch my wheelies in 2nd gear with no problem. Since the service, it doesn't seem to grab at the same point or with the same torque that is did before. I have no goddamn idea why or how to fix it. I too tried to adjust the clutch lever on the handle bars but it did nothing. I had another mechanic friend of mine ride the bike. He said he felt no problem with the bike to him and that it may be cause I am a novice rider and it all might be in my head. I still don't buy it. If you figure it out, let me know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
as far as the adjusting your clutch there is to spots. on eis in the handle bars and the the other is a worm gear on the left hand side of the bike. you have to pull the fairing off and the right in front of the sprocket cover, there will be another cover. it looks like an oil filter might go behind it... that is where the other clutch adjustment is.. on my 05 750 my clutch makes a lound thumping noise like it doesnt always disinguage when in 1st gear coasting. so i got to call suzuki today at work and find out what the hell is up with it..

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey dont feel bad I just took my bike in for my 500 mile service to get it home and find a nail in my back tire thats great 250 down the drain and now my bikes down unless i can find a bt014 190 50 17 in stock today ill be down all damn week that sucks brand new bike already need a tire and the sad fact is my budy had the same thing happen to him he had his a week and ended up with a nail in his back tire too what are the odds?

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
About in inch from fully out is about right. Most sportbike riders only use two fingers for the clutch and that gives just enough room for the clutch to be complely disengaged as the lever rest on the fingers still around the grip.

Yes check your owners manual on the 2nd Clutch adjustment on the left side of the bike if you want to come back that far in.

As for suspension they shouldn't have changed it.

I agree all bikes seem different after first service but just a couple of weeks after putting the controls back to where they were all is good.

Nice1 You could plug the tire till you can get a new one. A plug will hold as long as you aren't thrashing the bike. My dad plugged in BMW 1100 RT sport tourer and ran the tire for another 1500 miles (then it looked like a slick it was worn so bad) and never leaked air. So that is another option to keep you on the road.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, a cop doin wheelies. I can't help it. I also have not written anyone on a bike since i have been riding. So your safe in my town if I am working.

·
Registered
119 Posts
part of the first service is a clutch adjustment. just mess around with the secondary adjustment until it feels good for you again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the dealership is telling you that they must do the first service or you void your warranty, they are lying to you. Suzuki gives a 1 year warranty no matter who does the servicing.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If the dealership is telling you that they must do the first service or you void your warranty, they are lying to you. Suzuki gives a 1 year warranty no matter who does the servicing.
Thank God. I don't even trust the dealership to work on my bike. I'd rather take the time to do it right. You can always tell, 5 or 6 years down the road, which bikes were given proper maintenance.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Thank God. I don't even trust the dealership to work on my bike. I'd rather take the time to do it right. You can always tell, 5 or 6 years down the road, which bikes were given proper maintenance.
Ditto

But I have a guy right outside the base gate that has his own bike shop and he has always treated me right and has even hooked me up on alot of things so just to make sure everything is done right I am taking my bike to him fro the 1st service. And since it won't void warranty thank goodness I won't have to spend the extra$$ at the higway robbery shop

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I don't take my bike to dealerships to do any service any more. I do my own service and it's not that hard to do. First service is just change oil and tighten exhaust and other misc bolts, and inspect everything else.

They probably adjusted your clutch cable just as part of their routine "mess stuff up for the guy so we can say we did stuff" thing.

In the shop manuals it describes how to reset/readjust your clutch cable completely. I'll go over it briefly as it's simple and when adjusted *properly* makes a world of difference.

The click dial on the bar lever, dial it all the way IN to the lever (makes it loose). Go down to around where your front sprocket would be and there's a rubber cover there - pull it off with your fingers. That's a lock nut and clutch springy things there - just on top of that is where the cable comes out of.

Loosen the lock nut where you took the rubber cover off. Take a screw driver and dial out the little screw that has the lock nut on it until it's loose (don't unscrew it completely) - should only need a few turns max to be loose. Screw it back in until you feel a little resistance, then unscrew it 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut up again.

Loosen the lock nut at the top where the cable comes out and twist the cable part there until the "free play" in the clutch lever gives you 10-15mm of loose wobble (as in, the cable isn't being pulled until the lever has been pulled in about 10-15mm). Tighten the lock nut.

Go back to the click dial and dial it up until the lever is tight - you want NO loose wobble in the lever (that 10-15mm you just adjusted for should be 0mm now before the cable moves when you pull the lever in).

It should be the smoothest clutch cable you've ever experienced now. If you want to adjust the position of your lever, you can try playing with the click dial, however that sucks since really you don't want cable slack. I suggest you go buy a CRG clutch lever with a roll-a-click adjuster so you can have a perfectly adjusted clutch, and still adjust lever position (not to mention CRG levers are pimptastic).

They probably adjusted your cold/warm idle speed as well - just make sure it sounds ok when idling and the adjusters are just on the left side around where the gap is at your tank and frame.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the factory service manual but didn't think it was time for this adjustment. Checked it out and sure it was. Every ~4000 miles! So I went ahead made the adjustment. Works great! Before, clutchless upshifting didn't work very well (so never bothered with it much) but after this adjustment it works very well and as smooth as silk! Not sure why that would have anything to do with it. Another informative post from nutbar!

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah they did the same thing to my friend they tried tellin him he had to get the first service in order to put his warranty into effect (BS!)

as for the clutch settings its easy to readjust just mess with it until u got it where it was.........

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after getting to ride around on the bike for a bit and get used to what they changed i am beginning to like some of the changes. After adapting to the new friction point on the clutch its a lot easier to slip thru the gears and also clutch up wheelies. I practically dont have to even pull the clutch in to get it to slip! Also having the new suspension stiffer has been great in the turns....sucks for casual riding but handles great when taking turns at quicker speeds. It sucks that i didn't know that i didn't have to do first service in order to maintain the warranty...but not much i can do now. If i ever want to change the settings back to what i liked before you guys provided lots of great detailed info on how to do it. Thanks a lot guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts