Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found some pretty good info on this subject. Seems that most people think that you should stick with a 180 rear instead of going to a 190.

So the bike will turn over easier with the 180? Can I even put a 190 on the same rim? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages with going up to a 190 in the rear?

Thanks

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
i dont think putting a 190 on a rim that was made for a 180 is safe, and it will prolly wear the middle out quicker, but im not too sure

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 190 will fit, but the middle will wear out much quicker. My friends 600 has a 190 on the back, and after a 100 mile ride there was noticable wear. I think the 190 looks awesome, but it doesn't flick nearly as well. He is getting a 180 put back on this weekend.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
300 Posts
don't put a 190 on a 5.5" rim. You can put a 180 on a 6" rim just fine (lots of people do it), but going the other way will only make you look like you don't know what you're doing. The 180 was MADE for the 5.5" rim. Stick with it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Certain 190s will go fine on a 5.5 rim. Here is a chart from Dunlops site for the D208 and they say a 190 is fine on a 5.5 or 6" rim. I have a 190 on mine, no extra noticeable wear, flicks fine, looks better. But again this is my opinion. I would not go back to a 180.

Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you put a 190 on a rim made for a 180, you dont get the profile its suppossed to have. The tire is tucked up tight instead of spread out like it was designed to be, therefore you dont use the whole tire and you get some real nice chick strips. This is more of a preference on streetbikes if you ask me. Just get the wider rim and you'll be fine. Use a gixxer1000 rim. I am gonna do it when my stock tires wear out.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
motorcycles go around corners. the only reason a liter bike has a 190 is to try and keep some sensible contact patch with the extra HP

·
Registered
404 Posts
Late 90's ZX7's came with a 190 on the rear and they dont have more power than a new 750., or even close to a new 1000.

You can go both ways. Its not going to make that much of a noticable difference. In fact I have a brand new set, never mounted, D208's 120/190 here that I will sell cheap if you want them. I think you can get them for $225 shipped from ebay, but Ill let them go for $175 shipped.

If anyone is interested just give me a buzz.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the 190 has a smaller contact patch than the 180 because the 190 is wider so when put on a smaller rim it has to be squeezed together to fit therefore making the tire have the smaller contact patch so i would say that its way more unsafe than the 180

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
from what standpoint? the 190 on a the intended 6" or the 5.5"?

standard its not as steep of a profile but thats only because its a 50 not 55. but its still wider

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to run a 150 on a 4" rim which is intended for a 140 and it was great. No loss of turn in, no small contact patch, no excessive middle tread wear. It worked just fine. A 190 on a 5.5 rim wont be unsafe.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The contact patch difference determines how the bike is supposed to be ridden. A bike with a smaller rear tire doesent have the hp to accelerate hard out of corners, so it doesent need a wider tire and it will just make it turn slower. A literbike can use the extra rubber and does better if it 'squares off' corners and gets back up onto that extra rubber.

Smaller displacement bikes dont need larger rubber, and can lean over just fine without it. Unless you frequently slide the rear on hard acceleration, you dont need it. This is why you see 125 and 250 gp bikes with smaller rear tires. They just dont need more rubber and thinner profiles help quick turn in. The 990 motogp bikes have very large rear tires because they DEFINATLY need it!

The only reason i can think of that someone would want to up the rubber on thier bike is for looks. Or if they modified the engine. But im guessing just for looks.
Choppers have big rear tires, like 220's, get a chopper. NOT

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
How about the busa in last months 2 Wheel Tuner magazine, with a 360 rear and a 190 Front. Built by performance powersports here in michigan.

Scott

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
more rubber on the road

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did a search and found some pretty good info on this subject. Seems that most people think that you should stick with a 180 rear instead of going to a 190.

So the bike will turn over easier with the 180? Can I even put a 190 on the same rim? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages with going up to a 190 in the rear?

Thanks
depends on what you do, i.e. what type of riding do you do - mostly...
here's the break down ...

commuters: stay with stock 180 /55.
possers: get it as big as you can, 200/ 55 yes it will fit....
stunters: well... it doesn’t really matter, cuz its just gonna get tosted anyway....
track day's or twisties: dunlop 208, 190/60 gp-a 's, or.....

IF you got a hook-up, the new 209 gp-a 190/60. it the fucking bomb....
racers: Dunlop 195/70 slicks - or the same 190/60 208 gp-a, or the new 209 gp-a....
both fit the 5.5 rim and inside the swingarm without having to add links to yopur chain.
both have a bigger contact patch in the corner, fact! why do think racers use it?

for the rest of the b/s... yes, the 180 will turn in quicker, and be a little bit more flickable,
but, the 190 has a larger contact patch, and the front turns in so tight it's scary,
and it works fucking awesome.... they're the best tires I have ever run...

·
Registered
398 Posts
stunters: well... it doesn’t really matter, cuz its just gonna get tosted anyway....
+1

they run the rear tires at 10 psi anyways... balence point my ass...
wait that sounded bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts