Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
likes to put his frosting on frostyfire's back...
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Long story short: ten years ago my 08 750 was stolen. But finally I have returned! Bought a used 07 750. Runs smooth with one problem, it died on a ride (new battery). I assumed stator so opened it up and saw this. Not as bad as expected, but could it still be the stator? I have a new one on the way regardless, but expected it to look worse. Thoughts?

Glad to be back!

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,556 Posts
If you mean the discoloration, it does look fishy. Some checking with a multimeter ought to show something and is generally recommended before buying new parts. Also, it's hard to tell what it is, but the coil at 8:30 looks like there's a spot weld or something on the copper wire in the middle.

Is it a Suzuki part?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you do any tests on the battery(voltage when running), stator and/or the regulator/rectifier?

As BillV mentioned, looks a little discolored, but not terrible.

I just replaced my stator and regulator/rectifier a few weeks back.
Battery voltage was dropping as the bike idled, checked with multimeter.
My stator failed the AC voltage test and the resistance tests. When I opened it up and I had 2 coils that were noticeably darker.
I checked my RR as well and it failed one of the diode checks, so I replaced it as well.

It's all back together and running fine.

·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't check it because I couldn't find my stupid meter. So I just spent the 30 minutes getting to the stator. I have a new one coming in, along with rectifier, so will update later!

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Welcome back!

Spend the $40 on a meter. It will save you hundreds/thousands.

That stator looks fine. Bill, that's not a weld, just dirt, IMO.

That discolouration is blueish, not brownish, so the varnish does not spell doom.

OP, there is no use diagnosing an electrical issue without numbers from a multimeter.

·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Mac already knows, it wasn't the stator. Some work with the multimeter (found it) and a quick switch...the Rectifier!

Not only is this clearly not the stock rectifier, but it's also pretty done. Rode for two hours today perfectly!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
GSXJeff
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing